Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
The D14 is not meant to be used with just one fan. In my opinion (ain't worth much ) whatever the product comes with that's how it should be tested.
It was in its own review and in the stock cooling charts....just as all multi stock fan coolers are/will be. BUT in the High, med and low speed fan tests it is one fan and one fan only vs one fan and one fan only. Anything else gives a skewed picture. Like I said, i was hoping to have it replace the TRUE Black as the dual fan cooler used in all the future tests....but its single fan results just are not worth it (as it gives to much of a skewed picture of the D14). In three or so reviews from now this problem with the ageing of the True Black will be solved.

In the mean time the next cooler review really put me in a zen like state of mind and I walked away peaceful, tranquil and at one with the universe.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 15, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
It was in its own review and in the stock cooling charts....just as all multi stock fan coolers are/will be. BUT in the High, med and low speed fan tests it is one fan and one fan only vs one fan and one fan only. Anything else gives a skewed picture. Like I said, i was hoping to have it replace the TRUE Black as the dual fan cooler used in all the future tests....but its single fan results just are not worth it (as it gives to much of a skewed picture of the D14).
Does it beat the True when both are using 2x fans?
Old February 15, 2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Does it beat the True when both are using 2x fans?
Yes and all (or near all) the possible answers on dual and triple results of the D14:

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler Review

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 15, 2010, 05:45 PM
Banned
F@H

my only problem with the 212+ is the difficulty to apply paste on those kind of cooler, with space betwen the heat pipe and the alluminium block, what I do and corect me if I'm wrong is to put paste on the cooler, scrap it with a plastic ruller, it leave only paste in the space betwen the heatpipe and after I put a small quantity on the cpu and I install the cooler
Old February 15, 2010, 05:54 PM

What I like to do is apply a small amount to the heatsink, rub it around to fill up the gaps and then wipe off the excess and then apply two VERY thin lines to the inner aluminum pillars of the heatsink (if its a triple HDT, if its a quad I use three even thinner lines). And then mount it to the cleaned CPU. This seems to work best for me coverage wise. The learning curve is a royal PITA, but after awhile it gets to be second nature. One trick I found was to get a clean 32 gauge needle (walmart sells em in the pharmacy section) yank the needle from it, fill up the reservoir with TIM and then use that to apply the lines....you can get some down right THIN lines that way. ;)

Old February 15, 2010, 06:28 PM
Banned
F@H

I use needles to for make 3 trace on the CPU , mine a round at the end. the sell them in hobby shop for apply glue on models
Old February 15, 2010, 06:31 PM

Even better markone :)

Old February 16, 2010, 05:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

AC5 is older solution, if you have it then why spend the extra coin on anything else.

That being said I use Zalmans Hi Performance, IC24 and OCZ Freeze as my exclusive TIM Solutions.

As for Mounting a Push Pull Configuration you can Mix Fans but use the Fan that has Higher CFM and Static Pressure for Pull, and the other fan for Push. That way you don't mess up the Airflow pattern within the heatsink.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 16, 2010, 10:45 AM
Banned
F@H

do it the old fashion lazy way : drop some on the cpu, drop the cooler, jiggle around carefully. lift and look. is it more or less all over? yes? then tighten it down. manually spreading gave me 5c difference between cores, this way about 3c.lol.