Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2010, 10:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default taking off back case fan to put on cpu cooler?

I just got a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler for my PC. My case is an Antec Three Hundred and it has a 3-speed 120mm fan on the back which I took and put onto the Hyper 212+ to complete the dual fan setup I wanted going for it. However, the placement of the CPU cooler is just a little lower than the exhaust holes in the back of my PC.

Is it better to have a dedicated back case fan to blow air out or will it be better if I leave it on the CPU cooler to have the pull-push thing going keeping the CPU cool?

I also have 2 120mm fans blowing 'cool' air in from the front and 1 120mm fan on the side blowing in air to the GFX card and PSU.
Old February 7, 2010, 10:26 PM
MVP

In this case I'd keep it on the CPU cooler. You won't get as much overall system airflow, but it's best for your CPU. Also, with the top exhaust and 3 intakes you'll be getting plenty of air anyway. That said, you may want to get a fan matching the Hyper 212 Plus's at some point. That, or you could swap them both out for Scythes or something.
Old February 7, 2010, 10:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

With a dual-fan push-pull setup on the CPU cooler, should the fan speeds for both of the fans be going the same speed? i have the pulling 3-speed fan set on medium (about 1600rpm i suppose) while the default pushing fan is dynamically controlled.
Old February 8, 2010, 06:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it's a good idea so there share the heat load you should be able to set them to lower speeds and get close to the same results
Old February 8, 2010, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would put it on the back of the case as those fans have different speeds and don't work at optimal airflow (they compete with each other). Whichever one has lower static pressure (case fan I would think) should go on the back.
Old February 8, 2010, 07:39 AM
Banned
F@H

not sure I quite understand but here I go : Put 2 fans with same spec ( buy the same model) on the 212+ if you have no clearance for a case fan , just screw this third fan outside the case, and put a grill over it, A case fan that suck air true a grill from inside is more efficient than one that push air outside true the grill , now if your grill is emboss , unless you a maniac who like destroy case with hole saw and jig saw you gone have problem.