Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2010, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default NH-D14 Temps

so my system has been running now for a week.
beginning of the week my idle temps were around 33C which seemed to be normal
but now my temps have increased to about 40C at idle

the orientation I am using is the only one that works with the X58 Classified

the rear fan is an intake, and there is 2 x 140mm P14FLX has exhaust fans, currently all fans are
hooked up with normal connection, I haven't used any of the Low noise adapters. The LCD on the motherboard to that shows cpu temp is usually sitting at 25C - 30C
but real temps shows them to be 39C - 42C

I am not sure why the difference in reporting with Real Temps is, Core Temp shows the same temps as Real temp

need help as not sure what the discrepancy is or if I should try to re-seat the NH-D14.

if you need to know here is what they show under 100% load

EVGA X58 Classified 3 SLI / i7 920 D0 / Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 2gb x 6 / Noctua NH-D14 / BFG 260 Maxcore / Corsair Obsidian 800D / Seasonic M12D 850w

Last edited by vintank; February 7, 2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: forgot to show load temps
Old February 7, 2010, 08:46 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Idle temps won't be reported correctly simply as a result of how the temperature sensors work. You should only be concerned with load temperatures.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:08 AM
Banned
F@H

+1 with Zero. I experience the same worry for an other Noctua

the way I see it your fans push the air down , it's again physic for hot air to go down. I will replace those 2 noctua fan with something with more flow and pressure. and even do , the hot air will go up again a recycle in the fan cooler

I'm not even sure you will not be better to reverse the flow of the fan ( pushing up) and use a third fan on the NB side , even if you have to rise it to clear the NB, it's what I did with my D14 to clear the Memory, I lost the ventilation of the first 3 or 4 rows of fins, I still have quite good temps , I use 3 CM fan that I have in stock to replace the Noctua
Old February 7, 2010, 09:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
+1 with Zero. I experience the same worry for an other Noctua

the way I see it your fans push the air down , it's again physic for hot air to go down. I will replace those 2 noctua fan with something with more flow and pressure. and even do , the hot air will go up again a recycle in the fan cooler

I'm not even sure you will not be better to reverse the flow of the fan ( pushing up) and use a third fan on the NB side , even if you have to rise it to clear the NB, it's what I did with my D14 to clear the Memory, I lost the ventilation of the first 3 or 4 rows of fins, I still have quite good temps , I use 3 CM fan that I have in stock to replace the Noctua
in my orientation both the noctua fans on the D14 are pushing air up, not down, they push the air towards the top exhaust fan. and hot air rises, I am assuming you ment to say up and not down

EVGA X58 Classified 3 SLI / i7 920 D0 / Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 2gb x 6 / Noctua NH-D14 / BFG 260 Maxcore / Corsair Obsidian 800D / Seasonic M12D 850w
Old February 7, 2010, 09:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I was about to make a post and ask if this thing will fit my DX58SO and looks like the answer is NO. lol
Old February 7, 2010, 09:38 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
in my orientation both the noctua fans on the D14 are pushing air up, not down, they push the air towards the top exhaust fan. and hot air rises, I am assuming you ment to say up and not down
Ok so it's there the problem .. only few of the fins of the bottom section is cooled by the flow of air of coming from the suction of the fan in the middle. you need a fan at the bottom, to push up, like I said even if you rise it up to clear the NB , if my camera was not out of battery I will show you my setup , I thing i have a pics but you will not see the fan offset .

just forget what I said before , because it was impossible to know the direction of the flow , with only a pics, but I was expecting it , it's why no I know where to start

Case ventilation is my favorite subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
...... if this thing will fit my .
yes quite a huge thing not sure I will buy one more. but I have one and the Op too. so we have to work with it , challenge is were the fun is all about
Old February 7, 2010, 09:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yeah the only cooling the fins on the bottom get are from the rear intake fan, I have a Noctua P12 I can try to attach to the bottom somehow
wish had tools to measure air flow to see if the rear intake fan is passing any air through the fins

Old February 7, 2010, 10:07 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
yeah the only cooling the fins on the bottom get are from the rear intake fan, I have a Noctua P12 I can try to attach to the bottom somehow
wish had tools to measure air flow to see if the rear intake fan is passing any air through the fins
Give me until tomorrow to show you pics of what I did for solve the fan attachment, don't know why the D-14 came with only 2 set of clips for the fan will have cost cents to add 2 more clips

about the flow meter : wish to have the same tools and a smoke generator too.

may be I can buy it make measurement and send it to a reviewer here. I have no writing skill, but I can make lab test
Old February 7, 2010, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
yes quite a huge thing not sure I will buy one more. but I have one and the Op too. so we have to work with it , challenge is were the fun is all about
What are the dimensions of this thing? The problem is the DX58SO has the DIMM slots on top so although I could mount it push/pull horizontally, it looks like the DIMMs above will still get covered:

Old February 7, 2010, 11:01 AM
Banned
F@H

Crowtrobot, I take battery from 2 remotes to take the shoot can wait tomorrow .. look at my pics, the heatsink are clearing my high heatsink patriot ram, it's only the fan above them than I rise , you will be ok if you use low heatsink memory . you see on the pics the ofset fan over the ram. hope It help. I can take measurement latter but I will not put my caliper on a live folding bigadv for now

edit: i just notice, the 2 fan at the back of the antec 1200 was working when I rake the pics,,,I was worry when I see the pics here

some ask about the side... well from back to front of the motherboard , and no it's not an mini-itx.... full size atx

Last edited by MarkOne; February 7, 2010 at 11:12 AM.

Tags
800d , air cooling , nh-d14 , x58 classified