Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2010, 06:19 AM
Rookie

Default Newbie overclocker

I am a 0 experience overclocker and I don't even plan to overclock I am just making a question out of curiosity so it deserves the last priority in the recipients agenda.So,I own a Q9300 and let's say I want to OC it,so I buy a CM V8.I have it 1 year now and it as been running without problems so far.Let's say I get some moderate OCing profiles from an experienced OCer and I apply them then I test it,if it runs too hot I leave it and so and so till I get close to the optimal balance between performance and safety.As 99% of you know an OCed product failure isn't secured by the agreement of the guarantee since it exceeds it's manufacturer's operation standards.So given that it has been running without problems so far(even thought stock clocked)what are the chances of me losing it?Thanks for your time in advance and don't answer this one if u don't have the time for,it's a question of negligent importance.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what is your question how long will an overclocked cpu last. or is it will intel cover a oc cpu. yes normally they will as long as it does not show up to them black and burnt. all the extreme cpu from Intel come with oc software.
and to the first question i have an hard oc pentium 4 cpu back that i gave to a frind that has run it's whole life at max voltage and oc and it's going on 7 years.

Most cpu's are design for 10 to 20 years of use. overclocking it will shorten it's life yes, will you most likely need a new cpu/MB/ram for new os's before the thing dies yes. jmo
Old February 1, 2010, 10:58 AM
Rookie

Thanks for your help.I know they won't replace the CPU in most cases and my CPU is not of the extreme edition series.I just asked whether OCing is substantially risky even when someone takes his precautions.From what you said prolly it isn't.But can anyone get more specific.Intel obviously won't sell CPU's that can be OCed that easily and give them a 3y warranty.So apparently many of them will last for about three years and cannot suffer OCing,if my allegation is correct.Can anyone,experienced enough,make an estimation and tell me approximately what percentage of CPU's manage to get OCed (in my case to 3.2-3.4GHz from 2.5GHz native) and live a well 2-3 years?Is there any trustworthy way to figure this out without getting into the procedure of OCing?Thanks for your time.
Old February 1, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What the hell are you talking about? most of the time they will replace the CPU if he is not black and burned and intel wont hide good clockers chip. They don't mind what you do with it. If a chip pass the test he will go on market they don't test Xtreme OC on most of the CPU. If your OC is done well the CPU can have a normal life time. It is better not to apply other setting in your bios because each ram mobo and CPU are different. My friend 860 is stable 4.2Ghz ( same setup then me ) but to get mine stable I have to add more Vcore to the CPU and more VDRAM to my memory. Just try to find the good one for you PC and never exeed the limit. Your CPU should be able with a good cooler the V8 is correct to get about 3.2 to 3.5 if you find the good config to set in your bios. You also need good memory to do it. What is your system spec?
CPU, MOBO, Memory, PSU. If you have a dell or a branded cmoputer cancel to OC it you don't have what you need to do it.
Post complete PC spec with part model and we will be abble to help you more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 1, 2010, 03:25 PM
Rookie

I don't plan to OC I am just asking out of curiosity,so don't post any settings or anything alike.I didn't say that intel will hide good chips.I just said that ,since intel doesn't state otherwise,many of their CPU's might not be able to manage overclocking.Cause if they were intel would have definitely taken the advantage of advertising such a property(same counts for any company).But I definitely could be wrong,that was an assupmtion.In fact though I am running a risk,even a small one,of burning my CPU.So can anyone make an estimation about it?How many correctly overclocked CPU's has an OCer seen burning?
By the way my system's specs are:
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-X48 DS5
RAM:4GB OCZ blade DDR2 1066MHZ CL5
VGA:XFX 8800GT alpha dog(hunble stuff)
PSU:Thermaltake toughpower 600
CPU:Q9300
Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Smn123; February 2, 2010 at 05:54 AM.