Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2010, 03:18 PM
kendallcschm's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 465

My System Specs

Default Overvolt?

how do i overvolt a 120MM fan.. i just need more airflow out of the thing.. and i need it cheap
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2010, 04:26 PM
Navi's Avatar
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 82
Default

I'm not sure that's possible. Assuming your 120mm fan is already running at 12v, and I don't think there's a higher voltage than that in the average pc (just 3.3v, 5v, and 12v if memory serves).

It's possible to undervolt a fan for the sake of silence but that's not what you're trying to achieve :)
__________________
eVga P55 FTW | i5 760 @ 4ghz | 4GB G. Skill Eco CL7 | Gigabyte 7870 | CM 690 II
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2010, 06:23 PM
AmuseMe's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lloydminster & Saskatoon
Posts: 1,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
I'm not sure that's possible. Assuming your 120mm fan is already running at 12v, and I don't think there's a higher voltage than that in the average pc (just 3.3v, 5v, and 12v if memory serves).

It's possible to undervolt a fan for the sake of silence but that's not what you're trying to achieve :)

Isn't 7V in there somewhere?
__________________
DEAD CA$H
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2010, 06:29 PM
Sushi Warrior's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grimsby, Ontario
Posts: 1,620

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
Isn't 7V in there somewhere?
7V doesn't come naturally, you can get that by bridging 12V and 5V but it isn't in there naturally.
__________________
||EK Supreme LT Nickel||MCP355/EK X-TOPV2||EK150 M-O res||MCR220/White||NZXT FN120RB/FN140RB||
Project|Oroborous by NZXT and MNPC
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2010, 09:24 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
how do i overvolt a 120MM fan..
You don't, unless you want to burn it out.

If you really want to be stupid, ground the fan to the -12V rail, but be prepared for some fireworks if you do that. Fans tend to not like being run at twice their intended voltage.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 31, 2010, 09:50 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
how do i overvolt a 120MM fan.. i just need more airflow out of the thing.. and i need it cheap
How cheap is a decent fan? You'd have to assume that overvolting a fan is at the very least going to burn it out quickly, assuming it doesn't cause a fire or something horrific. How many do you need? I'm sure people with more experience than I could suggest some quality brands. Scythe are apparently very good, but some of their stuff is more centered around quiet airflow. If you're using a stock fan though, this would probably be a very good upgrade, or check out Noctua.

More suggestions are probably necessary, but just think that overvolting things that are meant to be overvolted can kill their life. I imagine that a cheap fan wouldn't last long if it lasted at all (note: fire).
__________________
Motherboard
Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
Processor
Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core
Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-21 1.65V
Video Card
XFX Radeon HD 5770
Hard Drive
Western Digital 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS
Case
Coolermaster cm 690
Power Supply
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Sound Card
STILL SEARCHING!
Monitor
Samsung 2494SW 24IN
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 1, 2010, 02:59 AM
kendallcschm's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 465

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Chipperson View Post
How cheap is a decent fan? You'd have to assume that overvolting a fan is at the very least going to burn it out quickly, assuming it doesn't cause a fire or something horrific. How many do you need? I'm sure people with more experience than I could suggest some quality brands. Scythe are apparently very good, but some of their stuff is more centered around quiet airflow. If you're using a stock fan though, this would probably be a very good upgrade, or check out Noctua.

More suggestions are probably necessary, but just think that overvolting things that are meant to be overvolted can kill their life. I imagine that a cheap fan wouldn't last long if it lasted at all (note: fire).
im getting the odd feeling that people here thinks its a bad idea... perhaps my fans are fine the way they are... lmao
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes