Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2010, 08:26 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Zalman CNPS10X Flex CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

When we last looked at Zalman's new CNPS10X family with the Extreme version, there seemed to be a lot to like but there were some shortcomings as well. Zalman has now launched the Flex Edition which not only improves upon the mounting setup we saw on previous generations but also comes with the mounting hardware for two 120mm fans. All in all, this particular heatsink looks like a dream come true. But can it win our hearts?

[ Read full article ]

Please use this thread for all your questions and comments.
Old January 29, 2010, 03:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hat off guys.
I still can't swallow Fenrir results but Flex looks right on spot.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Very nice review once again AkG..

With a high speed fan this thing is third on the lists, very close the Titan Fenrir, and the price was too good. Nice stuff..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old January 29, 2010, 10:01 AM
MVP
F@H

Outstanding review! Certainly covered all the bases. I like the fact that it come w/o any fans - leaves the choice to the installer's preference, and keeps the price down.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:10 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

From the review:
Quote:
However, unlike the Extreme version which uses aluminum as the transfer medium, the Flex has a solid copper base. While copper is not as efficient a transfer medium as aluminum, it can soak up more heat and we believe it will result in a net gain.
This is incorrect. Copper has higher thermal conductivity than aluminum and transfers heat more quickly.

Also, I suspect the CNPS10X Extreme uses a copper base as well, though it is nickel-plated. Most high-end coolers with nickel-plated bases do use copper.

Last edited by Zero82z; January 29, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Your absolutely right that pure Copper has about 2x conductivity of alu. My understanding of the ability if ALU to radiate heat faster than Copper was flawed. After talking to some engineers who I trust my understanding that copper could suck up more heat but released slower than aluminum was indeed incorrect. Thank you from bringing this to my attention and GREAT catch. Definitely not the first time I have been wrong and probably wont be the last :)

:)

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Your absolutely right that pure Copper has about 2x conductivity of alu. My understanding of the ability if ALU to radiate heat faster than Copper was flawed. After talking to some engineers who I trust my understanding that copper could suck up more heat but released slower than aluminum was indeed incorrect. Thank you from bringing this to my attention and GREAT catch. Definitely not the first time I have been wrong and probably wont be the last :)

:)
I've seen that error a bunch of times in various places and it irritates me every time. I'm glad you fixed it .
Old January 29, 2010, 02:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Neat. Looks pretty good. GG Zalman. Too bad they didn't release it before the U-120E.. Then maybe we'd all have Flexes on our rigs.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

5 Characters(ish)
Attached Images

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 29, 2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

wow u can pick one of these up for 30 dollars...throw a couple of cm r4s on there and for about 45 dollars u have a top of the line setup. :O