Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2010, 07:16 AM
Top Prospect

Raserei ... My feeling is that I do not have enough TIM and have not applied it properly. Some people are advising to fill in the gasp between the heat pipes and the blcok and then put a short stripe of TIM on each of the copper heat pipes rather than on the aluminum block in between the tubes. The good news is that I am becomming an expert at mechanically installing the Hyper 212 Plus ... it's fairly easy with the newly designed plastic clips for the fan.

Soultribunal ... The room the computer is in is at about 21C ambient so that should not be a problem. The case is an Antec 300 with one rear and one top fan. There is also a fan of course on the PSU. It does not seem to make any difference what speed I have the Antec fans running at. I do know that I have to do some better cable management. I only have one hard drive installed and I thought perhaps I would place it lower down than where I now have it to allow better air flow to the CPU area. Also I have my 5770 card in the slot closest to the CPU. Maybe I should move it down as well.

MarkOne ... I hear you concerning getting the OS going. I want to do that so that can get Real Temp installed as you say. I knwo I've probably wasted a lot of time messing around in the BIOS but I got fascinated by the poor job the cooler appears to be doing according to what the BIOS is measuring.

PLEASE NOTE: I really appreciate the feedback, advice and patience of the people on the forum who have responded to my concerns. Although I have built/upgaraded computers in the past I now am learning a lot about the newer technologies and methods.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Woah, so one on the Top Exausting, and 1 on the Rear Exausting if I am reading that correctly?
That means you have no Active intake if I am reading that correct.

That right there could be the big issue. I would start filling up Fan spots , your gear is starved for air.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 15, 2010, 07:49 AM
Top Prospect

Now for another dumb observation from me. If I run the system with side panel off I still get these high temps. Should that be happening?
Old January 15, 2010, 07:56 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolleydriver View Post
Now for another dumb observation from me. If I run the system with side panel off I still get these high temps. Should that be happening?
Because of the Antec 300's design (aka nothing but vent holes everywhere) air is most likely bypassing your CPU fan when it is running at low speed (PWM). I agree with ST, you should at least add a few silent 120mm fans in the intake to make the system a positive pressure one - meaning that there will be more air trying to get in than the fans can pull out. Otherwise, the top and back exhaust fans will just pull whatever cool air is "hanging around" straight out of the case, and since the CPU fan is running at such low speeds, it won't fight to "breathe" as much.

In summary: Add some 120mm intake fans to make the system positive pressure and check your temps again.
Old January 15, 2010, 08:10 AM
Banned
F@H

Can we just install the OS, to see what are the core temp ?
Old January 15, 2010, 08:11 AM
Top Prospect

CM Metaphor ... I agree with what you said. In fact someone on anothe forum said they had an Antec 300 with a broken top fan so when they covered the top opening their temps went down. He attributed it to negative pressure but here is what I posted:

"Just a guess but with no fan running in the top that then allowed the rear fan to suck air directly into the case and expell it from the back of the case without that air crossing over any components. It also meant that the rear fan expelled less air from other areas of the case towards the front. With that top vent covered it forced the rear fan to pull more air through the front opening and across the mobo/cpu and out the back."
Old January 15, 2010, 08:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolleydriver View Post
It can Happen. Because you have to picture the Case like an Air Tunnel. Open Bench setups still at times need lots of flow too.

I actually get horrible temps on my GX2 if I remove the side panel. But when its on and the twin fans on it are going strong, temps are good.

Add Some Fans.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old January 15, 2010, 08:13 AM
Top Prospect

Soultribunal ... I agree ... See my previous psot for something similar that I posted on another forum yesterday.
Old January 15, 2010, 08:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Can we just install the OS, to see what are the core temp ?

He can, and I have a feeling that his OS will show the same Temp MarkOne because it takes the OnDie sensor Information just like the BIOS does. And if thats the Temps he has in BIOS he needs to get his Airflow problem sorted out first.

ST

Old January 15, 2010, 08:29 AM
Top Prospect

Any recommendations on fans for the front of the Antec 300? Need something fairly quiet since this thing already sounds louder than I would like when all those existing fans crank up.