Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2010, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

Arinoth ... That's what I thought ... too high ... I asked on this and on another forum and most said it was OK ... maybe I need to reinstall the cooler

Soultribunal ... thanks for those ideas

1. did you save settings , Exit and restart when you changed settings for your Fan.

- Ooops no I didn't ...

2. And with Q-Fan setups did you set the temerature Range for you Processor? I know some ASUS boards I've had , had a designated Range to keep the Temperature under. If that is amiss then your Fan will Crank to Full speed.

- I just tried teh Standard, Silent, Turbo ect. modes in Q-Fan. There is a manual setting as well with a high and low range which I did not try.

3. As well, a lot of times when the system is posting it goes to MAx until Windows loads. My Zalman CNPS10X extreme does that as my Giga board is posting until its done, then it slows down.

- Yes, I was thinking I should load Windows before I go too far with this. I could then try one of the software fan control applications.
Old January 14, 2010, 03:20 PM
Top Prospect

Default Resolved

Soultribunal ... THANK YOU for giving me the solution.

I feel like a total idiot. I went inot BIOS, enabled Q-Fan, changed setting to "Standard", rebooted and the fan is now running at around 950 rpm instead of 2000. Also tried it on "Silent" and it went even lower.

My apologies to the forum for my mistake. You can tell I'm new to this stuff although I did build another machine about 5 years ago.

Old January 14, 2010, 03:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolleydriver View Post

Soultribunal ... THANK YOU for giving me the solution.

I feel like a total idiot. I went inot BIOS, enabled Q-Fan, changed setting to "Standard", rebooted and the fan is now running at around 950 rpm instead of 2000. Also tried it on "Silent" and it went even lower.

My apologies to the forum for my mistake. You can tell I'm new to this stuff although I did build another machine about 5 years ago.

Its okay mate, we all make them young old, new and experienced. Thats why we're here :)

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 14, 2010, 03:58 PM
Top Prospect

Now if only I can get the idle temp down ... but I think I'll leave that for now and get on with the build. Then I can see how things are under load conditions.
Old January 14, 2010, 04:10 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Wrong? You don't need an OS installed for a PWM fan to work, that's bios controlled. ..
I never say he have to install the OS, I was meaning stop to play with the BIOS, and Install your Windows....

because obviously, he don't know what he was doing in the bios
Old January 14, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

it's nicer to have the BIOS control the fan speed... :P less work for windows!

though I suppose windows + speedfan would have helped troubleshooting?
Old January 14, 2010, 08:08 PM
Top Prospect

Well I have the Q-Fan working OK but the idle temps are another matter.

I removed the Hyper 212 Plus cooler and the CPU and cleaned up the mating surfaces with Arctic Clean remover purifier. Then I applied a thin layer of Arctic Silver 5. Reinstalled everything. Result ... no change ... still at 36 to 37C CPU Temp according to the BIOS. Very frustrating cause it seems most people are getting much lower temps. I must be doing something wrong methinks. However, I think I'll just go ahead now and install the OS.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:49 PM
MVP

Well, first, how much TIM are you applying? If you're putting too much on it will raise your temps, but HDT coolers also need more in order to be effective than flat-based ones.

Second, how have you been applying it? On HDT coolers the best method is to put a short line of the material on each of the aluminum bars in between the heat pipes (I believe you want the length of the lines ~ the distance between the further apart lines so it makes a square.

You should be getting lower temps, but I suppose it's also possible that you have a chip that runs really hot or is using a lot of voltage? I assume all settings are on auto, so what's the vCore set to? Try undervolting a bit (make sure it's stable) and try your temps again.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't undervolt anything just yet when its running on Auto.

Do you know by chance what the ambient Temps are in your House?
And what case is this running in , with how many Fans?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 15, 2010, 07:29 AM
Banned
F@H

Did I said yesterday to stop to play in the BIOS and install the OS

Install windows and install also Core Temp or Real Temp, stop to compare your temps with the one post here from other members, those have not be taken in the BIOS