Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2010, 08:09 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler Review Comment Thread

Noctua has always been at the forefront of CPU cooling technology and have brought some unique and high performing solutions to the market over the last few years. With the release of their NF-P14 140mm fan it was only a matter of time before an accompanying cooler was released. Today we are looking at exactly that: the NH-D14 heatsink that carries with it a hefty price, some high expectations and one huge NF-P14 fan.

You can find the review here: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler Review

Please use this thread to post your comments and questions.
Old January 4, 2010, 08:16 PM
Banned
F@H

Can't wait to receive mine, I have a spare NF-P14
Old January 4, 2010, 10:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

What a beast, the Titan Fenrir also surprised me too. Good job AKG.
Old January 5, 2010, 03:50 AM
Rookie

nice review
u really put a lot a work in cooler testing in your latest reviews

though,the Noctua fans are not PWM capable ,4pin(otherwise,there would not be any need for voltage adapters,the PWM circuit would control the fan)

also,value is influenced by the cost of the fans,which are some of the most appreciated models (for quality and performance),and also some of the most expensive on the market (in my country the two fans cost more than 50% of the ND14 price)
Old January 5, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Good catch on the typo Mascotzel and thank you. I love the P12 and P14 fans that come with this unit and agree 100% with you on them. My only gripe is I wish Noctua had either included two P14s, two P12s (or best of all) gone with higher RPM fans (to get the most from this beast I would drop three yate loons or Cm r4s or Scythe sflex Gs onto it). I am not a fan of this "mix and match" philosophy Noctua went with and as we saw in testing it does hinder the performance of the unit. Damn shame.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 5, 2010, 07:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks AkG. I feel so comfortable now reading your heatsink reviews with new methodology.
I don't say a word about Fenrir but I'm glad that you're in line with other true testers when you say that D14 is shining with increasing heat and RPM. I still have a trauma after seeing this chart from a reputable site

and I've recovered today after reading your review.

Thanks again for a very thorough review (as usual here on HWC).
Old January 5, 2010, 07:53 AM

Ah yes....the issues with using a thermal probe attached to the IHS are well evident in that chart. ;)
Old January 5, 2010, 08:00 AM
Banned
F@H

AkG, can you give me the model of the best fan you will put on this cooler, I already have 2 p14s , but if i can get better why not,
Old January 5, 2010, 08:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

SKY you have no idea how much I respect HWC crew who really listen my (and others) ideas about changing heatsink testing methodology. To be honest I didn't have high expectations about you guys listen us readers but I was speechless when I saw HWC new testing bed and methodology.

For example trying to explain same things on SPCR ended with a healthy ban from mighty Mike himself and on that site with picture above I receive an answer like this
Quote:
[...] folks that are testing with their personal computer and Realtemp in their mom's basement.
Those are two sites who live in the past testing on Presler or drilling holes in CPU's and ignoring evidence.
Sorry for off-topic but I must say why I came here everyday with pleasure.
/offtopic
Old January 5, 2010, 08:43 AM

There are two mentalities in the industry and neither is wrong.

Some people want scientific results and still don't realize that it's the internal sensors that determine whenther a CPU begins to throttle because of heat or not. The IHS temperature means nothing in the grand scheme of things but it does return what could be called repeatable and accurate heat conduction results. However, too many people equate these results with actual CPU temps...which they are not.

Us on the other hand like operating within the same environment that most users will experience. If it's within our parents' basement, then that's fine with me. Granted, we go a step further by adding in ambient temperature control and a vertical mounting method but our goal remains that of being relevant to what the end user will experience.

When push comes to shove, there isn't a single methodology that is air tight which is why users are always told to look at multiple sites. Yes, there are plenty out there that take the easy, lazy way out but that's their problem which will NEVER be repeated here.

Another thing we will never do is tell you that it's our way or the highway. We all have to remember that the "old school" sites have their set methodologies carved in granite and getting them to change anything is like trying to move a mountain with your bare hands.