F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
A certain Online reseller , teach me how to be patient lately
Ahahah why don't you try to get a NCIX Franchising mark

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 11, 2010, 05:46 PM
Banned
F@H

I receive my D14 today...what a monster. I was hoping than some of my other clip will be able to hold the third fan, no way. I have to fix this problem, before put the beast in the case, it will be a nightmare to do so after
Old January 20, 2010, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Epic review! So glad to finally see some comprehensive dual/tri fan testing. I would assume that 2xP14s & 1xP12 would perform somewhere between the 3xP14s and 1xP14 & 2xP12s. I ask this because this is most probably with what I will be going with. With regards to the 3rd fan, what fan clips would you recommend. I can either use the ones from my NH-U12P, purchase some Prolimatech Megahalems Fan Clips - 25mm or some Thermalright Ultra 120 Fan Clips (these ones come with anti-vibration rubber strips too).

Also, how would you suggest setting up the 3 fans. I'm thinking:

Back of Case-P12-Heatsink-P14-Heatsink-P14

Thanks in advance.
Old January 20, 2010, 03:17 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperceptible View Post
With regards to the 3rd fan, what fan clips would you recommend. I can either use the ones from my NH-U12P, purchase some Prolimatech Megahalems Fan Clips - 25mm or some Thermalright Ultra 120 Fan Clips (these ones come with anti-vibration rubber strips too).
Thanks in advance.

I will make my own one. I have quite few piano wire ...
Old January 20, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Epic review! So glad to finally see some comprehensive dual/tri fan testing. I would assume that 2xP14s & 1xP12 would perform somewhere between the 3xP14s and 1xP14 & 2xP12s. I ask this because this is most probably with what I will be going with. With regards to the 3rd fan, what fan clips would you recommend. I can either use the ones from my NH-U12P, purchase some Prolimatech Megahalems Fan Clips - 25mm or some Thermalright Ultra 120 Fan Clips (these ones come with anti-vibration rubber strips too).

Also, how would you suggest setting up the 3 fans. I'm thinking:

Back of Case-P12-Heatsink-P14-Heatsink-P14

Thanks in advance.
Honestly I am not a fan of mix and matching fans. I recommend trying it with only the P14s attached and see if the temps are "good enough" for you. Noctua states that in a case w/ a rear exhaust 120mm fan the temp dif will be 10% (or less).

If you do go for three fans just about any 120x25mm fan clips will work. IIRC I just grabbed whatever was at the top of the pile nearest me in my Ye Olde Parts Bin (Room). Worst case scenario....make em out of wire like MarkOne said. I've done that before and as long as you take your time it works perfectly.

If you do go for three the P12 does have slightly better static pressure so having it as your pusher may decrease the temps slightly (BUT than again it may not as w/ low speed fans and WC rads pull is better than push!). TBH I doubt p12 push vs p12 pull will make a whole lot of dif temp wise. IF you after the best temps possible (and I assume you are as you are going tripple fan) you may want to invest in some cheap CM BladeMaster's (the egg has them for like 6 or 8 bucks) or Yate Loon 2K fans. Three of THOSE beasties will make a huge dif compared to the Noctua fans.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 20, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old January 20, 2010, 08:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Honestly I am not a fan of mix and matching fans. I recommend trying it with only the P14s attached and see if the temps are "good enough" for you. Noctua states that in a case w/ a rear exhaust 120mm fan the temp dif will be 10% (or less).

If you do go for three fans just about any 120x25mm fan clips will work. IIRC I just grabbed whatever was at the top of the pile nearest me in my Ye Olde Parts Bin (Room). Worst case scenario....make em out of wire like MarkOne said. I've done that before and as long as you take your time it works perfectly.

If you do go for three the P12 does have slightly better static pressure so having it as your pusher may decrease the temps slightly (BUT than again it may not as w/ low speed fans and WC rads pull is better than push!). TBH I doubt p12 push vs p12 pull will make a whole lot of dif temp wise. IF you after the best temps possible (and I assume you are as you are going tripple fan) you may want to invest in some cheap CM BladeMaster's (the egg has them for like 6 or 8 bucks) or Yate Loon 2K fans. Three of THOSE beasties will make a huge dif compared to the Noctua fans.
I was originally going to just buy another P14 and use 2xP14s. But since the D14 comes with a P12 as well and after reading this review, I thought I might try use all 3. Also, since in the review 1xP14 with 2xP12s seemed to work better than 3xP12s, I thought it might be worth it (otherwise the P12 will just be used in another comp as a case fan) since I'll be using 2xP14s with 1xP12 (although this setup wasn't tested, I'm just assuming it will be between the 3xP14s and 1xP14 with 2xP12s).

This is just all in planning for now, to use in a Fortress FT02 on an i7 860 that I plan to try and push to 3.8/4GHz. If I do end up doing this, do you agree with the fan setup I listed before:

Back of Case-P12-Heatsink-P14-Heatsink-P14 with all 3 fans blowing towards to back of the case (Which in the case of using an FT02, the back will really be the top due to the 90 degree rotated layout). Then at the top I plan to use a S12B, and at the bottom 3 x Silverstone FM181. This should hopefully give me the best possible chance to hit a stable OC on the CPU.

Thanks again.
Old January 21, 2010, 04:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
I was originally going to just buy another P14 and use 2xP14s. But since the D14 comes with a P12 as well and after reading this review, I thought I might try use all 3. Also, since in the review 1xP14 with 2xP12s seemed to work better than 3xP12s, I thought it might be worth it (otherwise the P12 will just be used in another comp as a case fan) since I'll be using 2xP14s with 1xP12 (although this setup wasn't tested, I'm just assuming it will be between the 3xP14s and 1xP14 with 2xP12s).

This is just all in planning for now, to use in a Fortress FT02 on an i7 860 that I plan to try and push to 3.8/4GHz. If I do end up doing this, do you agree with the fan setup I listed before:

Back of Case-P12-Heatsink-P14-Heatsink-P14 with all 3 fans blowing towards to back of the case (Which in the case of using an FT02, the back will really be the top due to the 90 degree rotated layout). Then at the top I plan to use a S12B, and at the bottom 3 x Silverstone FM181. This should hopefully give me the best possible chance to hit a stable OC on the CPU.

Thanks again.
Yes, that is most likely how I would end up doing things If i was going with three fans (p14s and p12s). I would still play w/ push vs pull on the p12 but, TBH at that level of OC'ing you should get VERY good results either way...and you will prolly get less installing issues with the p12 over the rear most mobo heatsink! You may still run into ram issues and the p14 but that all depends on your mobo. When all is said and done and its up and running...you'll love this cooler's performance :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 22, 2010, 04:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Guys, just wanting to make sure the NH-D14 is compatible with the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5. The Noctua website doesn't have this mobo listed.

Can anyone confirm if they will work together. Thanks.