Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe you should get a more spacy and airflowly better fan. Really great computer indeed how do the cooler is in this direction? still good or you find it not a great upgrade from previous?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 5, 2010, 05:03 PM
Rookie

AKG, i hv only one word for this review..."THOROUGH". I think you may possibly hv the most "painstakingly careful and accurate" (from google Definitions) review on Noctua NH-D14 on the entire internet!

That said, I kind of belong to group that still can't believe that it lost to "Titan Fenrir" on so many occasions. I can accept that megahalems wins it by a bit, give and take, but Titan!? It cost about ~$30 less than NH-D14. (Its smaller, comes with a fan, cheaper and does its job better).

So i'm going ask a question which i already know the answer to. When you conducted the test using Scythe G and NF-P12 on the NH-D14, was Titan Fenrir using the these fans as well or its 2150 rpm stock fan? (my last attempt to look for any discrepancy).
Old January 5, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thank you JohnJohn.

Yes all coolers were run with the same fan in a given test. I was happily surprised at how well it did in the single fan results (as past dual tower designs down right stank). It really is THAT good a cooler and I was THAT impressed with it.

Honestly, the Titan Fenrir is a kick ass cooler. So too is the D14. Both are best in class coolers. Both are designed for different niches. At lower heat levels HDT coolers are the king of the hill (but in the next air cooler review...they may have some stiff competition from a solid based cooler!). At max oc / heat loads the D14 is king of the hill. BUT the D14 really needs two fans to kick ass. It was obviously designed from the ground up to run two or three fans and not one. I would never recommend running the D14 with only 1 fan (even though it can and do decently while doing it), but considering the fact that it ships with two this is not a big deal ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 5, 2010, 05:36 PM
Banned
F@H

well, that's the space I have , the small 80 mm fan is for my VRM rad , I will just have to remove 2 screw to switch the cooler, as they use the same base , I use the 120 mm fan instead of the 140, because it was not clearing my small rad , I will use the other VRM rad for the N14

Old January 5, 2010, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This is one fine review - probably the best cooler review of any kind I have ever read anywhere. The testing methodology plus the different fan configs..even configs that admittedly won't be used in any normal rig really sheds some light into what makes the cooler tick - single fan, dual p14s, dual P12s...wow just wow. And I really like the sampling from other coolers. Most cooler reviews might test against 1 or 2 other coolers if lucky.
Thanks. A really enjoyable read.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
but in the next air cooler review...they may have some stiff competition from a solid based cooler!
Finally a good review on the Venomous X?
Old January 6, 2010, 12:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
(but in the next air cooler review...they may have some stiff competition from a solid based cooler!).
Can we have a hint on when this review will show up maybe next week? And... is it me or the air cooler market have grown fast in 2K9? Many new company many new design and better and better cooler all months. Maybe more in 2K10

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 6, 2010, 01:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The review will be up next week or the week after.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:37 PM
Banned
F@H

Sky....Let them wait........
Old January 6, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Sky....Let them wait........
Mark how can you wait:P you know that if he perform well you are going to order it so:P

Martin_metal_88