Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2009, 08:07 PM
MVP

Default How much difference do aftermarket fans make?

Hello, I see many comments from people about swapping out the stock fans that come with their case and buying aftermarket fans instead. Why? How much better could it really be? Is it just noise reduction or does it push more air?

While were at it, what is the best 120mm fan you can get?
Old December 22, 2009, 08:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Case fans (as opposed to cooler fans) are mostly swapped out for lower RPM / less noise, and yes they can make a huge difference to DB. Same goes for cooler fans... they're either swapped out for more efficient/lower RPM/Quieter fans, or for higher RPM / High Static Pressure fans (noise be damned... ;) ).

As far as "Best" fan goes... that mostly depends on what you want to do with it, how much you want to spend, and if you need the absolute best or will a reasonable improvement for the cost be sufficient.

I've been using the 1350 RPM Yate Loons for almost all of my applicatations and I've been happy with them, but I've also got some high static pressure 38mm 2000RPM Sythes for extra cooling.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 22, 2009, 09:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Some people swap out their case fans for Delta 4600 RPM fans, some people swap out for slow spinning 800 rpm fans, etc. etc.
People swap out to suit their needs and desires.

Scythe Gentle Typhoons are perhaps one of the best fans these days, albeit very pricey. They move a fair bit of air and are quieter than a mouse.
Old December 23, 2009, 03:05 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Generally speaking stock fans are fine, in my case I swapped out all of my Bushing type Case Fans for Ball Bearing Fans as soon as I detected a little bushing/bearing noise start up, about 8 Months after I bought the case.

Another Guy From Canada
Old December 23, 2009, 04:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Let's say you wanted to move massive air out of the case... What would be the best fan for that?
Old December 23, 2009, 05:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF noise be damned....find some San Aces, Panflo's or the like. All with well over 100CFM ratings. They move a ton of air, but are on the loud end of the scale at 12v (but the do under-volt nicely).

IF price is a concern look at the newer Cooler Master R4s. Cheap but are spec'ed to move 90cfm with good static pressure (to overcome the case fan grills, which WILL decrease the air movement of lower static pressured fans). Higher static pressure = the ability to push air through more resistance.

Basically, 38mm thick fans > than 25mm thick ones....but it may be over kill for your needs, and they usually cost a lot more than "standard" 120x25mm ones

Some other 120x25mm options that are great at moving air are:
Scythe SFlex Gs & Yale Loon 2200RPMs. Both are great air movers.

IMHO I'd pick up a couple Yate Loons or R4's as they are cheap yet decent. See if they meet your needs. IF needed move up to Panflo's. I doubt you will need more than those monsters can provide....IF still not happy then drop the $$ on San Aces. BUT if that is the case, I'd be more inclined to swap out the case as San Aces are expensive and its easier to find a good case;)

YMMV, etc etc

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 23, 2009, 07:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

in all honesty i think a fan like this would be the best around: Newegg.ca - Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan - Case Fans
Old December 23, 2009, 07:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Neither San Aces or Panaflos compare to the Delta 120mm Extreme for moving air with no regard to sound.
The delta will move more than 200cfm , but at the very, very high price of 65-66+ dba.

Delta PFB1212UHE 120x38mm Ultra High Speed - 252 CFM

If you need to really move air. :P
Old December 23, 2009, 08:02 AM
MVP

So is it safe to say that if you do not overclock and are not bothered by sound the stock fans are perfectly fine?
Old December 23, 2009, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
So is it safe to say that if you do not overclock and are not bothered by sound the stock fans are perfectly fine?
Absolutely! The only reason to upgrade is really twofold: Quiet (Less dB) or airflow (more CFM).

If you dont need/want either of those, there is no reason to upgrade!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about