Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2009, 07:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default 4 Pin PWM Fans connect to molex?

I bought 6 of these to mount on my new rad:
GELID Silent12 PWM 750-1500RPM Power Management Speed Control GELID Silent12 PWM 750-1500RPM Intellegent Speed Control Fan [GELID Silent12 PWM] - $7.99 : DazMode, Watercooling enthusiasts store

These are 4-pin PWM fans. My intention was the mount six of these on my rad. I realized that they were PWM, but I assumed (incorrectly) that they would come with adapters for 3-pin or even molex. The fans came with neither. My mistake I guess.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to attach these to a molex connector?

I do have some 3-pin to molex adapters that came with other fans lying around, but the 4-pin is too wide to fit. If I pried the 3-pin adapter open (ie. by forcing the 4-pin into the 3-pin adapter), will the pins on the 4-pin line up with the proper wires?

This is the 4-pin pwm connector on the fan:

Ie. this is the 3-pin adapter I have. I would have to bend/break the white plastic housing on the 3-pin side to physically fit the PWM connector:

2. If this will work, will the fan run at full speed?

3. If this will not work, is there something I can do to get these 6 fans running full speed on the rad?

Thanks guys! (btw posted in the 'Air Cooling' section because it is a fan question, even though it will be used in a WC setup. :) )
Fold for team #54196
Old December 16, 2009, 08:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There are open Faced adaptors to go to Molex Chris that you can use to get them to run full speed. They used to come with my Aero cools. I don't know if I have 6 but I can dig tommorow and see.

So you can do it, that is why the slot is offset, it has the Primary Functions on it.

ST

EDIT:

This one:

Buy the 3-Pin Fan to 4-Pin Pass-Thru Power Adapter Cable at TigerDirect.ca

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 16, 2009, 08:17 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thanks ST. So if I broke off the side of the 3-pin adapter to allow for the 4-pin to fit, the fan will work? I just have to let the two notches on the top of the black 4-pin connector to line up with the two grooves on the white 3-pin?
Fold for team #54196
Old December 16, 2009, 08:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty Much yeah. What you need if you want to do online seaching is a Male 3pin - Molex. But breaking off the plastic should suffice so long as they wire them the same way lol.
Test it on one and see.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 16, 2009, 09:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post

2. If this will work, will the fan run at full speed?
Not all pwm fans will run at full speed on 3 pin plugs, but it seems they will run at full speed when plugged into 3 pin header:
Quote:
Q: "Is there any way to make these fans run at full speed on a 3 pin connector?"
A: "As soon as you plug the 4 pin GELID Silent PWM fan on your 3 pin connector the fan will run full speed."
GELID Solutions > Products
Fold for team #54196