Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2009, 05:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default MX-3 or IC7 or IC24 Thermal Compound

Which do you prefer and why. I am in the market for needing some as i think i need to reseat my heatsink and want to put on some thermal paste (you know clean and re administer) however i am all out and want to know what you all recommend. Also, just a stupid question, how much do i apply (i think i know this but better safe then sorry) to either the hsf or the cpu.
Old November 23, 2009, 05:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IC7 for sure, both are hassles to apply but the IC7 gets MUCH better temps. As for applying it, usually a small pea sized blob or large grain of rice is good. IC7 has some funky directions I believe and MX3 is super, super sticky and tough. If you have a HDT (direct touch heatpipe) cooler then make sure to apply some on the aluminum inbetween the heatpipes as they usually get crappy coverage.
Old November 23, 2009, 05:50 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IC7 if you want the best.
AC MX-2 if you want ease of use. Not a fond lover of the new MX-3.

Like Sushi Warrior said, pea blob method for non HDT coolers. Two or three line method (small amounts!) on the aluminum posts. 2 for 3 pipes 3 lines for the 4 pipes variants.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 23, 2009, 06:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heat Sink is of course the CM Hyper 212+
Old November 23, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That few degrees is worth the extra (if any) effort it takes to get IC7. Both cost basically the same and IC7 is just about as easy to apply as MX-3. 3-4C makes all the diff with CPU coolers!
Old November 23, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep IC7 is all I will use (IC 24 is same shit bigger tube)

I recommend you put the tube of IC7 in a cup of boiling water for a few minutes before you apply it, makes it go on pretty painless.. it seems if you don't do this it's very thick and troublesome.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IC7, although application is a bit of a pain. Jake's idea should solve that problem though. I'm usually more inclined towards OCZ Freeze since it's easier to get ahold of and about the same as MX3 but thats just my opinion

Old November 24, 2009, 07:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

IC7 has been ordered, just get to see how long it takes Gav to fill it, lol
Old February 18, 2011, 06:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here but has anyone even TRIED iC224????

Everyone says iC7 and I'd agree but in this thread, I've read how MX-2 compare and iC7 compare, some pros and cons. as for iC24, NO ONE has really said anything about it which leads me to believe that no one has really tried it. So what's the deal yo? How does iC24 compare? How does it spread? Has anyone run any tests using the same bios and voltage settings with iC7 vs iC24?
Old February 18, 2011, 07:18 AM
Top Prospect

IC24 is just the bigger tube of IC7, so instead of '7 carats' it's '24 carats' for the increased quantity you're buying. There is absolutely no difference.