Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Scythe S Flex 120mm - Just Quit!?

Is this common guys? Noticed my Temps on my 3 GPU's seemed about 5c higher than normal...looked..and low and behold my 9 month old Scythe S-flex 1900 RPM Fan was simply not turning!? (Silverstone TJ09 GPU Intake Fan - provides Air to GPU's at front of Case).

Any idea why...just a bum Fan??
So.....
The Fan is connected via a 3 Pin to Molex (3 pin Molex) adapter directly to the PSU.
I troubleshoot......go to plug in a known working Fan to the "male" 3 Pin connector...BUT..inadvertantly disconnect another Scthe Fan running off of another 3 Pin to Molex Connector....THAT one obvioudly stops working, but when I plug it back in it won't run.....

So, now I have 2 Scyth Fans not working...wtf???!! Replaced one of em with a spare Silverstone 120mm (no 3 Pin Adapter required)...and it works fine.

The bitch is, the original GPU Scyth Fan that stoped working is a bitch to replace, requires me to strip the Rig completely apart.

So...any ideas....why one then both Scyth Fans would pack it in...the 2nd one I disconnected and re-connected while the Rig was running...the original one just stopped...both connect directly to PSU via 3 Pin Molex adapter.

Cheers

Bottomline...I gotta rip the Rig completely apart .....fvck!!...oh well....

Old November 14, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Weird. The S-Flex's definitely aren't known for premature failure. I know the G-series versions have slightly different internals, but still the same bearing style.

The blades still spin freely? The pins haven't come loose from the plastic plugs?
Old November 14, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

heh, at least its just a fan, it could be worst.

get it RMA
Old November 14, 2009, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep spin freely fine....not sure about the Pins n plastic plugs ...you mean open the Fan right up...? Mine are just the wires coming out of the centre portion to the 3 Pin connector...
Was wondering if perhaps the connection was loose it could somehow cause a "short" and cook the Fan motor (could explain unplugging and plugging in the one while powered up I suppose.....the other did have a slightly loose female to male 3 Pin to Molex connection...)...
Yeah I hear you 5ILv...hahahah...still have to tear the entire Rig apart to change that Fan...that Fan is really shi__y to change out..I bought a long magnetic phillips just for that specific job!

Old November 14, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
The pins haven't come loose from the plastic plugs?
I get you ....the plastic 3 Pin Female connector ...looks fine to me..

Old November 23, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure, the only fans I've ever had problems with have been 2 Enermax Cluster White 120mm's when I accidentally mixed up the pins while rewiring the molex to 7v. Sflex's, slipstreams didnt seem to mind it but I shorted out the PWM circuit in the enermax most likely. As for your problem.. Its definitely weird in your case though.

Old November 24, 2009, 11:15 PM
MVP

Maybe we both got a bad batch, my 120mm Scythe S series fans stopped working too. I'm not sure how long they haven't been working, but the other day I was hearing an awful noise inside my case. When I opened it up and looked at the fans, I noticed that 3 of the 120mm fans were not turning at all. 2 of them would not turn freely with my finger, they were stuck! When I was searching for new fans, I read somewhere that the Scythe fans seem to wear faster if they are placed horizontal.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."