Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2009, 10:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default What fans to use

I seem to have accumulated a lot of nice 120mm fans and was wondering what the best 2 would be to plant on my noctua for best performance. My list of fans are as following

5 x yate loon 47CFM 1350rpm
2 x slfex 67cfm
2 x stock noctua fans that came with my noctua
2 x lian li 60cfm 1300rpm fans

Now my question is, which are the best 2 to use for a push pull config with maximum possible static pressure on the heatsink.
Old November 5, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Is noise an issue for you? Those Sflex's are the "f" model 1600rpm. Very good fans but not exactly low noise. They would be my first choice.
The YL D12SL are good for their price BUT IIRC they have less static pressure than the noctuas (1.1 vs 1.6). So the Noctua's would be next choice.
Never tried the Lian Lis (no idea what model number you are talking about) thus can not comment one way or the other.

Scythe > Noctua > YL
Lian li unknown

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 5, 2009, 10:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think I know the Lian Li fans your talking about, I would go with the YL's or the Lian Li's for sure.

I love both their fans equally.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 5, 2009, 12:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Gave my friend the set of no name lian li fans I had. Going to go with the Sflex fans as i figured those would be the best, but was looking for a good response to why.Going to use the yate loons for case fans for now, then probably change them to the noctua fans when i go back to watercooling .This is only temp as I just to scrape up a few bucks for a Heatkiller 3.0 for 1156 and a good pump to go back to watercooling again.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old November 5, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would say SFLEX for performance, Noctua for silence. The noctuas are good fans (but hugely overpriced), quieter than the SFLEX F's but will not pish as much air.
Old November 5, 2009, 02:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

gentle typhoons, quiet, high cfm and high static pressure, what more could you need?

EDIT: aha didnt read first post, sflexs for max performance
Old November 5, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Noctua for push and SFlex to pull. That's if you don't mind the colour mis match
Old November 5, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Noctua for push and SFlex to pull. That's if you don't mind the colour mis match
I wouldn't do that, in theory matching up 2 different fans with different pressures and airflow rates will cause any number of problems.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
IMHO bad idea, you would get all the noise of the Sflex F....without the performance.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 5, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I was under the impression you were better off using the same fans for a push-pull or are you meaning push as in exhaust and pull as in intake ?

Alright, would u mind explaining because I am very interested in this thread and that answer puzzles me.