Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2009, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need advice - mounting kit for S1283

So I picked up a Xigmatek 'Black Scorpion' the other day and set it up on my 550BE. So far it's been a great performing cooler, (and nearly dead silent) but I have one issue... It's mounted 90 degrees off! The only mounting option for AM2/AM3 that came with it is the plain bracket that clips to the on-board mounting frame. The trouble being, that the on-board frame on my MB has the clips in an up/down position. So the heatsink blows air straight up. Now, I'm lucky in that I have a nice large fan on the top of my case, so hot air is being effectively exhausted. But One of my RAM chips is covered by the fins of the cooler. (It's quite large)

Does anyone know of a mounting kit available for this cooler so I can turn it 90 degrees? I looked at the crossbow, but I can only find 775 versions of that one. I need an AM2/AM3 mounting kit. I'm also concerned about how the on-board bracket will handle the weight over time. I'd like to get this sorted out asap as I'd be choked if the plastic bracket snapped and I screw up my system...

Pic for reference:

Old October 12, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a reason why AMD people almost all go with CM hyper 212+ in my knowledge it's the only cooler witch can be mounted front to rear on a AMD setup. If I was you, I would turn it 180 degree so it wont suck up all the hot air.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 12, 2009, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
If I was you, I would turn it 180 degree so it wont suck up all the hot air.
If I flipped it 180 degrees, I'd be pulling air counter-intuitive to the exhaust at the top of the PC. Not to mention, I'd just be cycling air within the case.
Old October 12, 2009, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah you are true my bad:P

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 12, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So far the only good option I can find is the Prolimatech Megahalem cooler + AM2/AM3 kit... but I went with the red scorpion to try and avoid spending $100+ on a cooler... Might just have to leave it as is. Although I find it more than a little retarded that the majority of coolers only have AMD mounting as an afterthought.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

From what I've read the mounting kits will allow you to turn it 90 degrees.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The Hyper 212 Plus would allow you to rotate it 90 degrees and it comes with a solid metal and screw mount. It's only like $20 which isn't that much more than a mounting kit for your current heatsink, which may or may not work.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus AMD Installation & Clearance
Old October 12, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
From what I've read the mounting kits will allow you to turn it 90 degrees.
Yeah... the crossbow mounting kits for it are all for Intel platforms... and they work great. The problem is I can't find a mounting kit for AM2/AM3. If you find one, put up a link.

Quote:
The Hyper 212 Plus would allow you to rotate it 90 degrees and it comes with a solid metal and screw mount. It's only like $20 which isn't that much more than a mounting kit for your current heatsink, which may or may not work.
I just bought my cooler. And it's been installed, so I'm fairly certain I won't be able to return it to NCIX. I really don't want to turn around and buy another one.

At the end of the day, I suppose I can live with it as-is. My temps are pretty good unlocked with minor O/C'ing. And I don't O/C my RAM or GPU, so I'm not really concerned about their temps. (They're both quite cool) So I suppose It's more aesthetics at this point then anything... but still...
Old October 12, 2009, 07:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I just bought my cooler. And it's been installed, so I'm fairly certain I won't be able to return it to NCIX. I really don't want to turn around and buy another one.

So I suppose It's more aesthetics at this point then anything... but still...
Understandable. But sometimes to get things to look right, you need to "waste" some money

And well I'd imagine you could sell it on here and make back some money.
Old October 13, 2009, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Noticed this today: XIGMATEK

Which is precisely what you want