Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2009, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Default Need i7 cooler Advice

Hey, I'm new to HWC. I've always lurked here and read your reviews, just never thought to join.

I just received a shiny new i7 machine last week from NCIX. My parents didn't trust me enough to let me build my own, but NCIX did a great job. I was on a budget and I got an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2. Everywhere I look tells me that this is a bad cooler and not to overclock with it. Only reason I bought it was to stay under a budget.

I'm currently running the i7 at 3.0 ghz with Turbo and HT off. I get up to 60 at load but games I play push it into the 50s. I tried 3.2 Ghz but the PC wouldnt boot. I used Gigabyte's Easytune software to overclock, so that may be the problem. I don't want to go higher or try manual overclocking until I get a better cooler. I've got more money now and I'm considering a couple options. Aiming for 4.0-4.2 Ghz under 100 bucks and something that'll fit onto my board and in my case.

Here's my rig at the moment.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping

Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro REV.2 Cooler

Motherboard:Gigabyte EX58-UD5

Memory: Corsair XMS3 CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4890 XXX 1GB

Case: Coolermaster cm 690 mid Tower

PSU: Corsair Professional HX650W

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB

Windows 7 RTM

My budget for a cooler is 100 dollars max.

Here's what I'm considering:

The Scythe Mugen 2 (Rave Reviews everywhere)

Cooler Master Hyper 212+
(canada computers salesman said it was good, read good reviews in some places)
Looks like it beats V8 and V10 in reviews

Corsair H50 (Trust Corsair, maybe they cool well too, someone said I should go for watercooling at 4 Ghz)

Prolimatech Megahalem (rave reviews)

I'd prefer something I can pick up instore at Filtech or Canada Computers or any other store in the GTA. Those are the only stores here in Toronto that had i7 coolers in stock.

Your input is appreciated.
Old October 8, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

megalems hands down
i just got one commin in this week for 50$ @ncix

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old October 9, 2009, 07:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm happy with my CM Hyper 212, sure doesn't perform as good as the expensive guys, but it does the job quite well and with proper air flow in your case you can keep your temps down.

Example:
I am in a dorm room, using CM 690 Case, when i had stock case fans and HSF temps in room could get up to 30C and CPU temp would get to 80-82C. Now with proper air flow and case fans galore i can at 30C keep my temps down to 77C max at same ambient temp. I've also heard this HSF really shines in cooler ambient temps but haven't gotten to test it much below 20C
Old October 9, 2009, 07:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme.

My thoughts at least. Welcome to the forums.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 9, 2009, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Megahalem, you just missed the sale... TRUE is good also.
Old October 9, 2009, 10:23 AM
MVP

Shiny...since your folks bought you this computer. I wouldn't push the OC too much, cause if you cook something. You will have a lot of explaining to do.
A few things might happen -

1.) They might never want to buy anything from NCIX again.
2.) They may not replace your cooked computer.
3.) If they do not replace the broken part/parts...where will you be for a computer then (probably can RMA stuff out, but mailing things cost money).

You got a sweet computer there....

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old October 9, 2009, 11:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
Shiny...since your folks bought you this computer. I wouldn't push the OC too much, cause if you cook something. You will have a lot of explaining to do.
A few things might happen -

1.) They might never want to buy anything from NCIX again.
2.) They may not replace your cooked computer.
3.) If they do not replace the broken part/parts...where will you be for a computer then (probably can RMA stuff out, but mailing things cost money).

You got a sweet computer there....
Yeah but thats only gonna happen if you really start playing around with the voltages and don't know what your doing.
The Heat side of it so long as you don't exceed the limits your fine.

My thoughts at least,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com