Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2009, 09:25 AM
Rookie

Exclamation New Mounting Method ?!

Pffft... So I tried installing my Lapped True Black (Push/Pull) last night and after 20mins of struggling with it I finally managed to fix all four legs down to the mobo, It was either me doing something wrong or the cheapo Push-Pin screws were really hard to tame. I was planning to do the Washer Mod but found it nearly impossible with this kind of mounting so I gave up ! BUT the annoying thing is... heatsinks still moving around in its place ! I can't believe how such a heavy heatsink can still move and can't just get a strong grip on the cpu ?!!

I need a different way to mount this thing , I did a quick search and came across this Screws and nuts method , simply people using very long screws and nuts to add pressure to the heatsink and 775 mounting bracket...

Ok so here are my questions ,

1) What do you think of this method ? Has Anyone done it here before ?

2) Instead of screws coming of the motherboard into the bracket holes is it ok to revere the whole thing and have the screws going into the bracket holes --> then into the motherboard and tightened at the back with nuts ? that would make it easier for later when I want to takeoff the heatsink ( HAF 932 )

3) Do I need to make a custom Back Plate or can I just tighten the nuts separately ? I understand the heavy weight from heatsink would eventually warp the motherboard but I dont think I can cut through steel with my Dremel... or can I ?!
Old October 6, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

washer and quarter first then think about using screws
Old October 6, 2009, 10:45 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
+1. I always used a thick rubber washer, placed at the "dimple" of where the mounting bracket presses against the heatsink base, to add extra presssure to the whole mount. try that first.
Old October 6, 2009, 10:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_kid View Post
I was planning to do the Washer Mod but found it nearly impossible with this kind of mounting so I gave up !
I need to figure where I can find tick sheet metal ? 16 gauge or thicker steel sheet to use for back plate , does anybody know any place in toronto selling thick metal sheets ? =/
E8400 @ Stock / GA-EP45-UD3P / OCZ BLade 8GB 1066 / ATI 4850X2 @ 700-1300 / WD Caviar Black 2x raid 0 / CM 850W / HAF 932 + 7 1900rpm fans / True Black ( Lapped - Bolt-tru - Washer - Push,Pull setup )
Old October 6, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_kid View Post
I need to figure where I can find tick sheet metal ? 16 gauge or thicker steel sheet to use for back plate , does anybody know any place in toronto selling thick metal sheets ? =/
back plate?

just get a washer and put it between the heatsink and the cross brace.
Old October 6, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

I couldn't find any good washers, so I just took a quarter and drilled a hole through the center and used that. Even the nut/bolt method isn't going to eliminate that twisting entirely - there's simply nothing keeping the actual heatsink aligned.

Also, with the nut and bolt method, it's harder to gauge the downwards pressure, making it more likely that you'll either not put enough pressure, or possibly put too much. And with the nuts underneath, adjusting the pressure while in operation is nearly impossible. Not to mention that eliminating the backplate WILL make the motherboard try to warp more, especially if you're planning on increasing the pressure. So honestly, I'd say don't bother with this "new" mounting method. Drill a hole in a quarter if you want increased pressure, but even that won't entirely keep the heatsink from twisting a little. But the heatsink still works pretty darn good anyway, in my experience.
Old October 6, 2009, 11:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
back plate?

just get a washer and put it between the heatsink and the cross brace.
OMG do you even read my posts ?!

you mean sth like this right ?! I tried doing it but cant fit all four legs down , its just too much pressure and I couldnt do it, push-pin screw sucks !
E8400 @ Stock / GA-EP45-UD3P / OCZ BLade 8GB 1066 / ATI 4850X2 @ 700-1300 / WD Caviar Black 2x raid 0 / CM 850W / HAF 932 + 7 1900rpm fans / True Black ( Lapped - Bolt-tru - Washer - Push,Pull setup )
Old October 6, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

sorry I did read but missed that.

You need a thinner washer.
Old October 6, 2009, 11:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Also, with the nut and bolt method, it's harder to gauge the downwards pressure, making it more likely that you'll either not put enough pressure, or possibly put too much. And with the nuts underneath, adjusting the pressure while in operation is nearly impossible. Not to mention that eliminating the backplate WILL make the motherboard try to warp more, especially if you're planning on increasing the pressure. So honestly, I'd say don't bother with this "new" mounting method. Drill a hole in a quarter if you want increased pressure, but even that won't entirely keep the heatsink from twisting a little. But the heatsink still works pretty darn good anyway, in my experience.
Having the nuts underneath is not a problem , its been done before and proven to lower the temperature more than bolt-tru kit , if I find it hard to do I can simply reverse the whole thing and have the nuts on top ! and reason I asked for the metal sheet is to make a back plate out of it to prevent warping ,
Old October 6, 2009, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
sorry I did read but missed that.

You need a thinner washer.
This is what I want to do PLUS the washer mod , but Id need to make a backplate for it