Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   ZALMAN Cooler troubles.... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/23472-zalman-cooler-troubles.html)

SiDiX007 September 23, 2009 10:10 AM

ZALMAN Cooler troubles....

I have a weird situation goin on with my ZALMAN cooler. Sometimes the fan wont spin up. When i first re-assembled my system i had the Zalman installed and was looking forward to testing it out (since ive had it for 5 months lol) but the fan would just not spin. So i started to troubleshoot..... i tried connecting the cooler to an alternate connector (SYS_FAN) on the motherboard. No change. After i couldn't get it working i decided to put the stock cooler back on.... it works fine (in the CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN connectors on the MB). Just to test it out i hooked up the stock cooler to the CPU_FAN connector and the ZALMAN to the SYS_FAN and they both spin up just fine.... but when i take the STOCK cooler out of the equation the ZALAMAN doesn;t spin up everytime... Any ideas??

miggs78 September 23, 2009 10:17 AM

You might want to double check your mobo for smart fan features.. Sometimes it's set to run a fan or a cooler to spin at a lower speed.

SiDiX007 September 23, 2009 10:37 AM

Ok so i disabled smart fan in BIOS and for awhile it didnt change anything.... i was sitting in bios watching the RPM and temp section when the COOLER all of a sudden came to life. lol is it setup to not spin the fan if the CPU is under a certain temp?

SugarJ September 23, 2009 10:43 AM

If the fan spins on the other normal fan headers, but not the CPU header, I'd say the start-up voltage is too low on the PWM or speed sensing circuit for the HSF fan. You can do 2 things.
1. run the fan off another header so it's full speed all the time.
2. leave it on the CPU header, and it should start up as the CPU loads and temps rise. But I'd watch it carefully to make sure it is doing this properly for the first week or so. If it's not doing it properly, go to #1.

SiDiX007 September 23, 2009 11:27 AM

Thanks for both your replies. SugarJ hit the nail right on the head. I just did some tests.... each time i booted into windows and launched CPUID... once the CORES hit 29c the fan kicked in and kept them there or lower. I tested it 10 time =) The fan is at 750rpm and the CORES are at 25c each.

SugarJ the fan connector for the ZALMAN is a 4 pin connector. Can i connect those to the 3 pin spots on the MB? If so which pin do i leave out?

bojangles September 29, 2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiDiX007 (Post 259969)
Thanks for both your replies. SugarJ hit the nail right on the head. I just did some tests.... each time i booted into windows and launched CPUID... once the CORES hit 29c the fan kicked in and kept them there or lower. I tested it 10 time =) The fan is at 750rpm and the CORES are at 25c each.

SugarJ the fan connector for the ZALMAN is a 4 pin connector. Can i connect those to the 3 pin spots on the MB? If so which pin do i leave out?

It should automatically align with the small alignment notches on the header. You shouldn't have any problems.