Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2009, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Zalman MFC1 question

I know there are a few of you out there that use this controller. I have a question in regards to the polarities on the connector pins. I am asking because my thermaltake thunderblades have both molex and a single fan speed control wire on a 3-pin connector. They won't work on the controller in this fashion. On the molex connector there are the standard heavier gauge wire and the smaller +/- wires that should be connected to a 3-pin connector. I want to cut off the molex connectors and connect the +/-/fan speed control wires to some spare pre-wired 3-pin connectors. My question is what are the fan control and pin polarities on the left/centre/right controller pins?

If nobody knows that's ok. It'll be trial and error time lol. Here's a picture of the controller pins and the fan and wiring.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old September 1, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

That fan looks like it has two wires running to the yellow and black wire which is 12v and ground.

All you'd need to do is chop off the molex and splice the connector to those wires.

In fact the wires fed to the molex look small enough you could probably just put them into the fan plug with the yellow wire with a minor amount of work.
Old September 2, 2009, 12:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yellow is the speed control. I have to chop the molex and solder to....D'oh! never mind....hope i don't run out of heat shrink.

Old September 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't had time to work on these fans yet. Does anyone know which pin on the fan controller is for the fan speed? left, right or center? All the 3-pin fans I have all have copper wires with clear insulation. I'd hate to solder them then have to rip them apart again because I got them mixed up.