Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2009, 04:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshehan View Post
@jdrom17, Are you sure the TRUE will be able to use the currently installed backplate? So let me get this straight, in order to install the Vendetta 2 and the Xigmatek, I will need to remove the backplate I have right now? Are there any other heatsinks like the TRUE? Is there any way of getting rid of the backplate without removing the motherboard? And, does anyone know how to remove the motherboard on the Dell XPS 630i? Is it an easy task to perform? Thanks guys!
I can't say 100%, but I think it's probably the fairly standard backplate that's already on it, which is what the TRUE uses, many waterblocks, Noctua stuff, and with some modding, would probably be fine with the Vendetta 2/Xigmatek stuff.

By modding, I mean removing the push-pins on the Vendetta/Xigamtek, and using the screws off the stock heatsink.

Removing the motherboard looks effortless, just unplug everything, unscrew all the screws and it should come right out. Case seems laid out well enough that you could get it out easily.

I'm curious though, have you actually tried overclocking? That stock heatsink might be fine. I'd only upgrade the heatsink if you know for sure heat is the thing holding back your overclock. I can't honestly see the 650i chipset overclocking a 45nm quad-core that well.
Old August 26, 2009, 05:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I can't say 100%, but I think it's probably the fairly standard backplate that's already on it, which is what the TRUE uses, many waterblocks, Noctua stuff, and with some modding, would probably be fine with the Vendetta 2/Xigmatek stuff.

By modding, I mean removing the push-pins on the Vendetta/Xigamtek, and using the screws off the stock heatsink.

Removing the motherboard looks effortless, just unplug everything, unscrew all the screws and it should come right out. Case seems laid out well enough that you could get it out easily.

I'm curious though, have you actually tried overclocking? That stock heatsink might be fine. I'd only upgrade the heatsink if you know for sure heat is the thing holding back your overclock. I can't honestly see the 650i chipset overclocking a 45nm quad-core that well.
As a matter of fact, it actually does overclock quite well! I'm only looking to overclock my processor to around 3-3.2GHz! I will open up my case again and take a look at it! Thanks for everything! I don't think I'm going to take my chances with buying a heatsink that might not fit! The reason why I want a new heatsink is because I want my processor to last for a fairly long time. The stock heatsink may not hold back the overclock, although my load temps will be in the 80-90C! Thanks! Btw, would it be easier to mount a cpu waterblock?
Dell XPS 630i / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.67GHz / Stock Cooling (Temporary) / 6GB DDR2 800 RAM + 4GB Windows ReadyBoost/ Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT / Samsung SpinPoint 640GB + Seagate FreeAgent 250GB / 750W PSU / Nvidia Nforce 650i SLI / Logitech X-235 Speakers + Plantronics .Audio 370 Gaming Headset / Dell 22' E228WFP / Razer DeathAdder /Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Airshehan
Old August 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Installing water cooling into that Dell would be far more complex than swapping out to a better heatsink, and well I wouldn't really suggest doing so.

Any heatsink should fit, that's not the issue. The issue is you'll most likely have to remove the motherboard to install it, which I'm guessing you aren't comfortable doing.

Not sure if anyone would be willing, but if you post a better location (city at least), maybe somebody on here might be able to install it for you, or at least guide you along.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I will look into removing the motherboard from my computer. I am alright with removing my mobo, it's just that it doesn't really look like it will be an easy job. I don't think I would be willing to ask another person I don't know to help me out. Thanks for your help! Btw, what heatsink would you recommend in terms of performance? Doesn't matter whether it needs a backplate or not.
Dell XPS 630i / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.67GHz / Stock Cooling (Temporary) / 6GB DDR2 800 RAM + 4GB Windows ReadyBoost/ Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT / Samsung SpinPoint 640GB + Seagate FreeAgent 250GB / 750W PSU / Nvidia Nforce 650i SLI / Logitech X-235 Speakers + Plantronics .Audio 370 Gaming Headset / Dell 22' E228WFP / Razer DeathAdder /Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
Airshehan
Old August 26, 2009, 10:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd suggest the Hyper 212 Plus. It's cheap, and performs awesome with the stock fan.

Goes for a mere $25.30: Buy COOLERMASTER [RR-B10-212P-GP] Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA775 LGA1156 120MM

No idea how they managed to get it so cheap, and it comes with the most accessories compared to the other heatpipe-direct-touch heatsinks.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
I'd suggest the Hyper 212 Plus. It's cheap, and performs awesome with the stock fan.

Goes for a mere $25.30: Buy COOLERMASTER [RR-B10-212P-GP] Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA775 LGA1156 120MM

No idea how they managed to get it so cheap, and it comes with the most accessories compared to the other heatpipe-direct-touch heatsinks.
I have to concur. I'm happy with my PM, but it's amazing how CM can come out with a great performing cooler at that low a price and still include all the accessories. For high overclocks, PM is better but if not oc'ing to 4+Ghz on a 920 I doubt I'll see much of a difference between this and other coolers costing 2-3x more. I admit, I was a bit skeptical of the HC review here initially ($30 for a hi performing cooler?! no wai!) but I shouldn't have as HC reviews have always been the best and most thorough. Plus this cooler ranks up there on Frostytech. Even their cases are priced well. My ATCS840 costs me CA$200 and it has the quality of a case that normally costs $300.

Back on topic, the OP has to be sure which cooler he picks fits in his case (with the panel on) as most if not all the coolers mentioned in this thread range from big to humongous. I have dealt with prebuilts and they're often incredibly cramped. Just adding an extra HDD is a chore.
Old August 27, 2009, 11:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphy View Post
Back on topic, the OP has to be sure which cooler he picks fits in his case (with the panel on) as most if not all the coolers mentioned in this thread range from big to humongous. I have dealt with prebuilts and they're often incredibly cramped. Just adding an extra HDD is a chore.
Well the XPS 630i seems to have lots of space. Easily the depth of a hard drive and then some, so I can't foresee it not fitting, unless the sidepanel has some large obtrusion on it.
Old August 28, 2009, 01:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Yeah, my XPS for sure has more than enough space to fit any two video cards, a couple of HDDs and anything you want to throw at it! It's not any old pre-built! Thanks for all your help guys!
Airshehan
Old August 30, 2009, 01:16 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Well the XPS 630i seems to have lots of space. Easily the depth of a hard drive and then some, so I can't foresee it not fitting, unless the sidepanel has some large obtrusion on it.
Generally the Dell XPS series happen to be in rather decent size cases. The only thing I do not like about the XPS series is well, it's still a Dell. JMO
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old August 30, 2009, 02:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

I second that, I had my local store PM that, and man o man, it's money well spent. Actually I think this heatsink is worth more than that, especially with the accessories they provide, 95% of the heatsinks on the market, once a new system comes out, manufacturers either send you a free kit if you request, most of the time you end up buying them. But with the CM heatsink, you get a pretty good universal back plate, that's probably gonna last few years, and not only just focusing on one platform, but rather both Intel and AMD.. Plus it comes with a pretty darn good fan, AND a second set of wire clips for a second fan..

You can't be much happier than that..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution

Tags
cooling , cpu , heatsink , lga775 , q9300