Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2009, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Heatsink Review.. AkG or SKY Please Comment

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=292&Itemid=62

I hate to do this, but I have to question 2 coolers that were reviewed by AkG.

In that review, the CM Hyper 212+ doesn't perform as well as it was shown to in the HWC Review, where as the Xigmatek Thor's Hammer didn't perform all that well in the HWC while it seemed to do pretty well in this review.

While the older TRUE performed pretty good too, AkG or SKY please comment as to why these guys were almost totally different results as to the reviews you have done.

Please don't get me wrong, I just wanted to know how or why a good product shows to perform poor in our labs and vice-versa.

Thanks
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 5, 2009, 12:56 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Hmmmm, all their HSF testing is done vertically, rather than on a flat test bench like in our reviews. I wonder if Not being flat actually helps the coolers with more heatpipes since gravity is not fighting the internal liquid-stuff (brain fart there, forgot what it was called) from returning to the base. It would be interesting to try the exact same cooler flat and on its side (like in a regular tower) to see what the difference truly is.
Old August 5, 2009, 01:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Different methodologies, testing conditions, fans, sample differences etc.

And this little golden nugget for the overclocked tests:

Quote:
To add a final buffing finish, the surface was wet-sanded with ultra-fine 2500 grit and then polished with liquid finishers. When the lapped Core i7-920 was reinstalled into the X58 test platform, the voltage was raised to 1.35V and pushed to a moderate 3.60 GHz overclock
Old August 5, 2009, 01:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So our reviews are without lapping? (just ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212 a few hours ago, lol)
Old August 5, 2009, 01:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Can't really speak to what testing methodology other sites do, but I'm wondering about the testing procedures on this page....

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...&limitstart=13

They list their temps as "deg c over ambient". does that mean that they were all tested at the same ambient temps and this is the result, or does it mean that they were test at different ambient temps?

I'm also wondering about the stock fan they list for the Megalems... I thought it didn't ship with a fan.....

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old August 5, 2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
So our reviews are without lapping? (just ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212 a few hours ago, lol)
No lapped surfaces in our reviews. Lapping can have different effects from one cooler to the next when benchmarking. Some coolers react favourably while others don't. It's as simple as that.
Old August 5, 2009, 01:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No lapped surfaces in our reviews. Lapping can have different effects from one cooler to the next when benchmarking. Some coolers react favourably while others don't. It's as simple as that.
Alright, good to hear. I have no clue how to go about it nor do i feel like i want to learn yet, i hope to get similar results are the review (i dont expect identical due to infinite number of variables). Get my i7 up to 3.6-3.8 Ghz stable (with HT) and fold my ass off more!
Old August 5, 2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
They list their temps as "deg c over ambient". does that mean that they were all tested at the same ambient temps and this is the result, or does it mean that they were test at different ambient temps?
We use a temperature controlled room which allows us to have accurate temperature readings without using core / ambient deltas. If you can't control the temperature of your room, deltas are no less accurate. HOWEVER, when ambient temps are high they can contribute to the heatsink reaching its thermal limit much faster than if the room was cooler.
Old August 5, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can only report what you see. I tried a Sunbeam core contact that at the time was highly regarded and it was only a little better than stock. I also tried a Vendetta 2 and despite all the hoopla I found that a Xiggy HDT-S1284 worked better. Eveyone has variables that influence their results in ways that cannot be easily explained so....just gimme the facts!!
Old August 5, 2009, 01:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
You can only report what you see. I tried a Sunbeam core contact that at the time was highly regarded and it was only a little better than stock. I also tried a Vendetta 2 and despite all the hoopla I found that a Xiggy HDT-S1284 worked better. Eveyone has variables that influence their results in ways that cannot be easily explained so....just gimme the facts!!
Though can you say you are happy with Cooler Master Hyper 212 as it appears in your sig for your i7 rig?