Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Testing right now...the I7 seems to be a hot running beast.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well at first I was scared of opening this thread, glad I did though.. lots of good questions..

Thanks SKY, I did read that they lapped, no idea how I just forgot.. Plus flat vs vertical..

Just like Metaphor I'm also curious on the results they achieved by testing the heatsinks vertically.. hmmm..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution

Last edited by miggs78; August 5, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:32 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This is why we recommend reading multiple reviews. Olin's testing methodology will return different results from ours just like others may agree with one or the other.

As for the lapping, I believe it is the CPU which was lapped and the Thor's Hammer we received had a base with the quality of a $2 prostitute.

On a side note, we WILL be moving to vertical testing as we feel it gives a more accurate representation of what the end user will experience.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:37 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
On a side note, we WILL be moving to vertical testing as we feel it gives a more accurate representation of what the end user will experience.
So... it Does make a difference? Ha ha! I feel accomplished somehow since I might actually be right, lol.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Those result looks more logical. I still don't understand what's up with Thor Hammer next to TRUE and from our tests 10X is on par with Megahalems and TRUE lapped and modded (of course I spoke for maximum heat output and same fans).
Old August 5, 2009, 02:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

As I said, every review will return different results. There is NOTHING "logical" about benchmarking.
Old August 5, 2009, 03:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Of course EVERYTHING is logical if test conditions are the same for all heatsinks. Same ambient temperature, same RPM fan, same testbed with same CPU with frequency/Vcore, same TIM, same pressure at mounting and if it's possible lapping for both IHS and heatsink base (but last one is for enthusiasts and perfectionists). :)
Then you'll have just one variable: how good heatsink is engineered.
Old August 5, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by burebista View Post
Then you'll have just one variable: how good heatsink is engineered.
and no life... Honestly, it would take forever, and you wouldn't even have the same variable at home.

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old August 5, 2009, 10:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have a word: if you want to do something do it right or don't do it.
Fortunately I have a friend which is obsessed by comparing TRUE vs. anything else and those are his test conditions. I have complete trust in what's he's doing because it do it from passion and with his money so what he get is what he say.
Any other tests from net are just informative for me but I'm eagerly waiting new testing methodology here on HWC.
Old August 6, 2009, 12:31 AM
Rookie

Benchmarkreviews tested the 10X only in stock configuration and that only shows how lame the stock fan is. Their testing is fine and you would've recorded a similar result if you'd have tested the Megahalems with the 212+ fan. Ideal tests would require a perfectly flat IHS and an impecable heatsink base. Lapping the CPU takes one variable out of the equation and should definitely help coolers with very good bases.

A good testing methodology doesn't take years but a few hours and willingness to make it right. ATM your tests are very 'manufacturer friendly' because there are many coolers spread within a couple of degrees of eachother. If you cranck up the voltage and consequently increase the TDP you should get greater differences. My personal opinion is you should be testing at around 80 oC for increased accuracy.

In the end everyone reading reviews on the internets should take them with a bottle of salty water if they see HDT heatsinks beating everything.