Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Problem or not ?

I am having 2 separate (I think issues) which may be nothing at all, but I seek your advice.

First of all, I am not too satisfied with my system's temps, well more like my CPU's temps. Bare in mind that this is my first build and the part I was the most unsure was applying thermal paste, but I have removed, reapplied many times seeing little to no difference. So, either I always do it wrong or no matter what I do, it would be fine. I have used the TIM that came with my HSF and later used some MX-2, Perhaps I do not see the difference because the temps vary a lot in my room (the warmest in the house). By the way, the 2 tri-cool fans are always running at medium. I also included a picture of the system so that you can tell me if I did something wrong. I have 1 fan installed at the lower front of the case for the HDD and then 2 fans(one in middle front and one in the middle). Currently the system is not oc'ed.

My current temps are between 26 and 31 at idle(depending on room temp), but let's say
Idle: 29
Full load (prime 95): 46 (with Easy Tune), 51 (with Core Temp)
System during prime95 : 37
GPU during prime 95: 52

Are these temps normal or is there a user related problem ?

2nd, when checking the speed my fans run at with Easy Tune, sometimes my system 1 fan totally dissapears. As in well, have a look at the screenshot.

Is this just a software issue or the begining of a bigger problem ?

3rd, How do I make it so that Easy Tune doesn't say my case is open all the time ?
Attached Images

Old August 5, 2009, 10:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Direct Vendetta to push air to the back, it will bring down temps by 0.5 degree.
What temperatures did you expect?
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI
Old August 5, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Temps look fine to me. You have lots of airflow in your case.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:06 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
Direct Vendetta to push air to the back, it will bring down temps by 0.5 degree.
How? Proof? It's interesting how everyone has a different opinion on physics. But in general, the less turns and curves air has to make the smoother the airflow... So why make it enter horizontally from the bottom front of the case, then have it go up then horizontal again and out the back of the case? Oh, and at the same time the air entering the HSF is fighting away from the top exhaust fan? I don't understand that logic... But here's some of my own:
- Hot air moves upwards.
- Air flows the most easily with as little resistance and as little turning as possible

In his setup, cool air enters from the "bottom" of the motherboard section in his case, so cool air passes directly on top and bottom of his video card. Obviously the air that goes below the card will be pulled through it and expelled out the back of the case. The cool air above the card will do a slight curve upwards and go directly through the hsf, warm up, then continue upwards naturally through fan-assisted convection.

... all that to say I think his orientation, and temperatures, are fine IMO.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Turn the vendetta 90, to allow him to suck fresh air from the 120 noctua infront of HDD, if not enoughm concider to get a KAMA bay to put in 3 5.25 drive bay ( if 3 are free ).

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 5, 2009, 11:21 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Turn the vendetta 90, to allow him to suck fresh air from the 120 noctua infront of HDD, if not enoughm concider to get a KAMA bay to put in 3 5.25 drive bay ( if 3 are free ).

Ask for more.
While I don't agree with turning it 90 degrees right away, the suggestion of using a kama bay to add a 120mm intake and THEN turning the vendetta 2 is sound. In that way, you'll have direct horizontal airflow without any turns. Just be sure so Slow the top exhaust fan if you do this, because it will pull cool air away from the vendetta if you run it on max.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, for my 1st question it seems I was expecting too much... I know those temps are not "dangerous", but if they are within what should expected from such a setup then I won't worry too much and or change much about it.

So, I guess that with an oc, when my temps were in mid 50s it was fine too ?

Also, what about my other 2 interrogations... I know they are somewhat... hummm... stuiped, but I'd still like an answer for them

As for what temps did I expect, I don't know... I was hoping for temps in lower 40s under full load, specially after changing TIM.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What are your ambient temps? Room temp in the summer has a huge effect on core temps.

As far as your other two questions go.... not many folks use easytune for monitoring their computers.

You'd be better off using CPU-Z and Coretemp. I've also found that coretemp only lists one of the cores, so I also use occt's system information when I want to see temp information from all cores at once.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 5, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
What are your ambient temps? Room temp in the summer has a huge effect on core temps.
I do not know exactly my room temps, I know it can get warm enough for me to be sweating in here... But when I ran my last tests (shown in my 1st post), I'd say it was quite chilly. Maximum 20 would be my guess... Otherwise, it can go up to 25 or quite surely 30 depending on the outside temps.

Edit: I will CPU-Z and Core Temp more then. But is there any reason why there is always a difference of about 5 degrees between Easy Tune and Core Temp ? If I remember right I was told to try to use a program that would give me a temp close to the one in the BIOS and I Core temp is the closest.

Last edited by Kilauea; August 5, 2009 at 12:21 PM.