Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Only one out of 10 builds I've used this cooler have I been called back to fix it... stock fan died after 1yr perpetual use.
but all of mine have all had some degree of rotational wiggle.
the little pin alignment thingy is only a guide IMO to make sure you get the bracket oriented...
Old October 23, 2013, 06:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Need some advice from you guys.
I am doing my new AMD3+ build (waiting for NCIX to ship). The case is Antec 302 with a 140mm fan on top and 120mm fan at back. Should I orient the H212+ evo front to back (E-W) or bottom to top (S-N). Given the top fan is 140mm, it probably draws more air out than the back fan, so orienting the H212+evo bottom to top makes some sense?
Old October 24, 2013, 12:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Need some advice from you guys.
I am doing my new AMD3+ build (waiting for NCIX to ship). The case is Antec 302 with a 140mm fan on top and 120mm fan at back. Should I orient the H212+ evo front to back (E-W) or bottom to top (S-N). Given the top fan is 140mm, it probably draws more air out than the back fan, so orienting the H212+evo bottom to top makes some sense?
The problem with the South to North HS+F set-up is the RAM clearance; unless you have some very low DIMM modules. Nevertheless, S-N is preferable, just not always practical.
Old October 24, 2013, 01:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

S-N also limits the air intake if it's too close to the GPU. Generally I put it in and see what clearance is available then mount depending on the build.

Either way there will be plenty of exhaust for it.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old November 3, 2013, 06:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks. and Thank you OP for the nice photos. I have installed it on my new build, and it is very quiet. Idle temp is 35c and Prime 95 for 10 minutes is at 48c.
As for the installation. I had to spent about 2 hours lapping the cooler base. It was so rough that I did not want to risk it. Once it is installed, I can easily twist it quite a bit, but on its own, it will not move. Have I done anything wrong? The center pin with the spring does not seem to do anything, except to center the cooler in place. Am I suppose to tighten it which I find I cannot do.
Old November 3, 2013, 10:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default APU Temps

For anyone interested this CM Hyper 212+ keeps my A10-5800K at about 36 C and up to 42 C when gaming. That's with the APU OC'd to 4200 (stock is 3800). I've put two CM R4 fan's on the 212 instead of the stock fan (wanted red LED's - it was not a performance thing, strictly for the lights).

As the post above me says it is not hard to twist and re-position but it is not so loose as to move on it's own.

I figure it is there to cool the CPU/APU and my APU is cool, so if it ain't broke ~ don't fix it.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 4, 2013, 05:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for your info. My build is on a AMD FX8320 on Asus M5A9 mobo, overclocked to 4.0 GHz. They are housed in Antec 302 with the fans running at low setting. This build is for a teenager who is so impatient that I have to let him take it home and do more stress testing later.