Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2009, 09:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Best fan for HDT-D1284

Curious as to what your guy's thoughts are on the best fan for this: XIGMATEK

Though it can't be super loud, say under 30dBA? PWM would be nice but I can't seem to find anything that has a good range of RPMs.

Also probably going to get the backplate mount too, since I doubt those push-pins are really doing a good job.
Old August 2, 2009, 08:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

lol basically all the ones I looked at. None of them jumped out at me though...

The stock fan is already 1500RPM PWM rated at 56CFM.

S-FLEX "F" and Gelid Wing 12 are probably my main choices since I run them in my PC so I know they're decent.

That PWM Delta NCIX has is nice too, that thing should keep everything cool with 113CFM at a silent 46dBA
Old August 7, 2009, 04:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Of these choices, which one would you guys say would work the best on the D1284? It's a down-draft cooler, not the tower style.

Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 Pro PWM 120MM Fan 400-1500RPM 57CFM FDB (Picture here)

NMB-MAT 120MMX25MM Low Speed Fan 1600RPM 63.57CFM 27DB

GELID Solutions GELID Wing 12 1500RPM 120MM UV Green Gamer Fan 64.3CFM 25DBA NFB

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB

And those are ranked by price from lowest to highest (after PM'ing of course).

Last 3 seem nearly identical spec wise, other than each having their own blade design. PWM on the Arctic Cooling is a bonus, but it's a bit lacking in CFM. And well I doubt an OC'd E6600 will really need varying fan speed.
Old August 7, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

I actually used those ACs.. I got to say, they were bloody silent and pushed a descent amount of air, statistics.. sorry jdrom can't remember, stopped using them few months back.. Only problem with that is the design, not like a regular fan, you would usually use it as an exhaust, if you're fan is mounted inside a front panel, forget about instake.. the outside are sticks out.. but I loved them...

I've heard good things about the Gelid, as for Scythe.. the reps they've built in the market, probably has an edge.. Though I would like someone to try the Gelid really.. pushes more air than the scythe with little less noise.. interesting..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 7, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would get the Wing 12's, they come with a speed controller and rubber mounts and such and use great bearing tech (same as NoiseBlocker fans) and can be PM'd to $12 I believe.
Old August 7, 2009, 08:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I actually used those ACs.. I got to say, they were bloody silent and pushed a descent amount of air, statistics.. sorry jdrom can't remember, stopped using them few months back.. Only problem with that is the design, not like a regular fan, you would usually use it as an exhaust, if you're fan is mounted inside a front panel, forget about instake.. the outside are sticks out.. but I loved them...

I've heard good things about the Gelid, as for Scythe.. the reps they've built in the market, probably has an edge.. Though I would like someone to try the Gelid really.. pushes more air than the scythe with little less noise.. interesting..
Yup, AC stuff is typically good quality for cheap. Can't go wrong with them IMO.

To be honest, having both the Gelid Wing 12 UV Blue and Scythe S-FLEX F in my own PC, the S-FLEX is a better fan. Quieter at 12V IMO, and when ran at 80% (1360RPM), it's very quiet. To make my GELID similar, I need to run it at 70% (still roughly 1360RPM). At 12V, I'm pretty sure the GELID was more like 1600RPM than 1500RPM. Though I bought the GELID of the bling of the UV Blue blades, not for performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I would get the Wing 12's, they come with a speed controller and rubber mounts and such and use great bearing tech (same as NoiseBlocker fans) and can be PM'd to $12 I believe.
Yeah, about the same price as the S-FLEX F.

Even though it's not for me, it's just hard deciding which to go with.
Old August 7, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Guess it all comes down to price, I think the speed controller and the conveniences of the nano-flux bearing (but no flux capacitator!) and the bonus rubber mounts would put it above the Sflex-E if they both perform the same really. Do you need a speed controller? If not then I guess the Sflex-F would be the way to go.
Old August 8, 2009, 09:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah for the price, the GELID comes with way more accessories, but being on a CPU heatsink, none of those get used.