Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default CPU cooler with no fan

So, assuming the general airflow through the case is OK, is it possible to run something like an OCZ Vendetta 2 or mini ninja without running a fan in conjunction? Or am I putting my CPU at way too much risk? If it's possible, what would be the better coolers to go with? Please consider I'm trying to avoid extremely tall or overbearing coolers. I'll be running it on either a Phenom II X2 550 BE or (if I can squeeze it in to the budget) an X4 955 BE.

Reasoning: I'm finally getting around to a case mod I've been planning for a LONG time and one of the things I'd like to do is mount an emblem on top of the CPU cooler. That's not going to look as impressive if I have a fan on the side of it. However, I'll make it work if it's a must.

The question of the best way to mount the emblem will be brought up at a later date when I know exactly what cooler I'm going with and have dimensions, etc.
Old July 22, 2009, 10:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Since your not worried about noise from the fan and only looks you could get a heatsink with a fan in the middle that's already covered or one which your emblem would cover?
Old July 22, 2009, 10:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you insist on running passively, get the biggest heatsink you possibly can. That way there's plenty of surface area for heat to be distributed. Then your rear case fan should be able to pull away some of the heat. Better yet if you have a front intake that blows in the general direction of the CPU as well.

Maybe something like the Scythe Ninja 2? Also gives you a nice square area to mount this emblem.

Or you get like the Coolermaster V8 that has the middle mounted fan.
Old July 22, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Since your not worried about noise from the fan and only looks you could get a heatsink with a fan in the middle that's already covered or one which your emblem would cover?
I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm not worried about noise. It's going to be an everyday use PC, so I'd like the sound level to be reasonable. And as for middle mounted fans, any suggestions? I was under the impression they weren't that great? Although I won't be OC'ing so it'll likely be ok.

Quote:
Or you get like the Coolermaster V8 that has the middle mounted fan
I don't think that's gonna work. So far it looks like this is gonna happen on a Cooler Master Scout. The V8 stands quite tall doesn't it? Or is it quite a bit shorter than the V10?
Old July 22, 2009, 02:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I don't think that's gonna work. So far it looks like this is gonna happen on a Cooler Master Scout. The V8 stands quite tall doesn't it? Or is it quite a bit shorter than the V10?
Not sure, but the one CM has in this picture nearly hits the side panel:

And even if it was shorter, I don't see how your going to see this emblem you're making on top completely... You'd have to cut that window bigger which would be difficult since the stock window is bent out.

The issue is, you want to run passive, yet you don't want a large surface area either. Going to be tough to achieve acceptable temperatures IMO.