Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2009, 03:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Sharing fans between 2 machines.

Hello peoples,

I am wondering how to go about setting up two particular case fans.

I have a mountain Mods Ascension case and I am gonna have two machines running out of it. The Ascension has two fans on the top panel and I want those fans to run even if just one of the machine is on.

I don't know if plugging them into both boards is safe and I don't know very much about electronics to build a component or know which one I'd need to do this.

You guys with the know how, please let me know what I can do.
Old July 18, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Don't plug a single fan into two boards. Otherwise, you'll wind up sending current through the non-active system, which has the potential to cause all kinds of problems.

I'd say that you might want to consider just hooking both fans up to the system that's hotter. Unless there's some purpose-built piece of hardware that will handle things for you, you're looking at a bit of wiring to make a relay setup that will handle things properly.
Old July 18, 2009, 04:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Using the fans on the system that produces the most heat is a great point. Since I can try different configurations as well, I might as well run them by you guys as well.

Three rads total. Two in main system and one in second.

1-Two rads are going to fill the case with more hot air so I should put those fans on with the main rig expelling air out the top while the rads push air in.

2-I can also put one rad in front pushing air in and the second rad pulling air out. Then, give the two fans to the second machine to expel air out the top as the rad pushes air in the front.

3-Any others ?

What do you guys think?
Old July 18, 2009, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'd probably look at configuration#1, although a few more exhaust fans elsewhere would obviously help balance things out. Option #2 will see the second rad getting the first rad's exhaust air, which will hurt its performance. As a rule of thumb, you want the radiators to be getting the coldest air possible, and then do your best to balance those rads out with exhaust fans.
Old July 18, 2009, 05:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Each system is going to get a 120 mm in the drive bays. Not sure where else to put some, no more holes.

A trinity front would hit the spot right about now. but if ever, it gonna have to wait for now :(
Old July 18, 2009, 05:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I could also set all the rads to expel the air outwards and all the other fans to intake air.

What do you think of that one?
Old July 18, 2009, 06:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hey!! What about a switch that will let me shift the power source of the fans? So I can control which system powers the fans.

example: Fan to splitter > splitter to switch > one three pin connector to each motherboard. Like that, when I have the power off on the main system I can just divert power from the second machine and prevent power crossing over to the other system at the same time.

Now to find out what a switch like that would be called/or exist and where to get one.

Anyone?
Old July 18, 2009, 06:32 PM
Allstar

It would be pretty simple to use 120v fans and 2 relays. Just hook up one relay to each power supply to trigger the hot on the 120v line. If both psu's are on it won't matter because both relays would be supplying 120v from the same line.
Old July 18, 2009, 06:33 PM
Allstar

I just thought of another way, the relays could turn on a 3rd psu to power the fans as well. That way you could use cheap automotive relays too.
Old July 18, 2009, 06:49 PM
Allstar

Here's how I would do it with the 3rd psu using 2 cheap Bosch automotive relays. You could even steal them out of a wreck ( look under the hood, they all have relays of one kind or another )
Attached Images