Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Would it be worthwhile to consider using a fan controller and using the sensing relay to power it instead of the individual fans?
You mean, have a stand-alone controller push all the fans, and use the aforementioned switch/relay power the controller, regardless of which PSU was on? That would work too, as long as the controller didn't require a motherboard connection. And as a bonus, you could fine-control your fans, no matter which system was running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
Thanks MpG :D

Now if I could only figure out that diagram. Hmmm
I can try to redraw it if it helps. I don't have any circuit-drawing programs on this computer, so I'm stuck gif-hunting on the web, but I can try adding stuff to the picture. Is there any part in particular that's not making sense?

Edit: Oh wait, your earlier comment wasn't aimed at my diagram?
Old July 18, 2009, 07:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Would it be worthwhile to consider using a fan controller and using the sensing relay to power it instead of the individual fans?
I have a fan controller that I am going to use. Are you saying it can do all of this for me?
Old July 18, 2009, 07:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I have a fan controller that I am going to use. Are you saying it can do all of this for me?
You would still have to rig it up to accept power from one or the other PSU, but it would be the same setup as you've been shown for the fans, and once it was up and running you'd have the option of controlling the fan speeds for one side if it wasn't powered up.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old July 18, 2009, 07:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post

Edit: Oh wait, your earlier comment wasn't aimed at my diagram?
Yeah, I figured you were making a joke by using the whistle smilie so I descided to add to it
Old July 18, 2009, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, I figured you were making a joke by using the whistle smilie so I descided to add to it
Good deal. Seriously, that's about the simplest way to make what you want happen, I think. Although, as I think sswilson pointed out, you could hook up anything to those power connections, even a fan controller. Or lights, for that matter. You can do some interesting stuff with more elaborate setups, but it depends on how busy you feel like getting.
Old July 18, 2009, 08:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah, sswilson makes a good point. Cookies, and the milk

So, if I am getting this right. I can attach the relay using a molex connection. I make the appropriate connections using two molex connectors and then plug it into to the PSU's. Right?
Old July 18, 2009, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

That's right. If you're not 100% positive on the connections, you can hook up only one PSU and make sure that works, then hook the second one up afterwards. The +ve and -ve connections in that diagram will correspond to the molex leads (usually yellow=12V, black=ground).
Old July 18, 2009, 08:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What will it do if the connections are wrong? And how much current can these things handle, or is it just a mater of not overloading my PSU's?

I know my fan controller reads temp and speed. I have sensors for heat but not sure if it's a motherboard connection for the speed reading. It's actually been collecting dust waiting for me to use it . And now, it's time is approaching. Dun Dun Dunnn Mouahahahahahaha (Sorry, I couldn't resist )

But. Thinking back to what you guys taught me. The same principal can be applied regarding the motherboard connection for the fan controller, using the relay and have the sensor plugged into both machines. No?
Old July 18, 2009, 09:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 of 7 View Post
Just for conversation here's one of my 120v fans. This one is cast aluminum including the fan blades and draws 24w. It also sounds like an airplane.. ( It's not for the weak of heart or people who like to put their fingers in such things )
I can also now understand how it would be a good idea to use a dedicated PSU to run a few fans like these.
Old July 18, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

You'll have to check the switch or relay for current ratings, but it would be a pretty small relay that couldn't handle a few amps at least, which will cover quite a few sub-2000rpm fans. If the wires are wrong, different things could happen, in accordance to what electricity does. A short would hopefully trip the over-current protection in your PSU (or melt the plastic in the switch/relay, making the connection fall apart), but it's not something I'd want to see happen in any computer of mine. If you're not certain, you can disconnect the wires from the PSU and test with a multi-meter to make sure the proper paths are open or closed. Or if you can manage it, arrange everything clearly and take a photo. There are a number of people on this forum with electrical experience who might be able to comment on it.

That diagram didn't take the speed-sensor into account. Almost always, fan controllers handle rpm sensing by themselves. Ditto for temp sensors, as long as you're plugging the sensor into the controller, not the motherboard.

If you want to do this directly off the motherboard(s), you'll need some variation of a triple-pole-double-throw (TPDT) switch, which will switch all three connections at once. I'm honestly not sure what would happen if the speed sensor sends signals to the inactive motherboard - the signal strength is much weaker than the fan's main power, but there is still some voltage and current being produced, and I'm not entirely certain of how the inactive circuitry would handle it. So if you want to run off motherboards, and you want any rpm monitoring, you'll need to handle it somehow. I stand to be corrected on this part, but I don't believe plugging the speed sensor into both boards is a good idea.