Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2009, 10:04 PM
Top Prospect

Default Has anyone ever tried routing their pc's heat?

Like so:

Re: [FAH] Shutting down ... - dslreports.com

I got the idea from my portable AC:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/DSCF2873.jpg

Notice how the heat from the AC is sent out through the giant tube. My window has a plate with a hole for it install. What if I hooked up all my back120mm fans to large tubing like that (I'd need a second plate)? That would have the heat transferred outside rather than my room. But the huge fan on top of my Antec 1200 case would need be problematic, but that's beside the point.

Anyone done this?
Old July 21, 2009, 06:38 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have not done this. I am however interested in the concept, as well as making internal duct work (fresh air to my cpu cooler, and strait out the case, same for the GPU, and a small tube over the ram to pull normal case air past the ram, and then out the case). I plan to buy my new main board before doing the work, and redoing it again.

I am only speculating (and running some mild heating/ventilation experience in other applications) If you want to do this I would suggest using a high flow fan to maximize the effort. Even then perhaps 2-3c difference? Just a guess. How much of a difference is there between your case air temp and ambient air temp?
Old July 21, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Alot of work for minimal/no gains in heat removal. You'd be lucky to not cause the stuff to run hotter. Invest in a window box fan instead.