Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2009, 08:52 PM
Rookie

Default Zalman CNPS 9900 and ZM-STG1 grease not giving a good temperature drop.

I just installed the Zalman 9900 fan cooler onto my EVGA 780i mobo yesterday, with the ZM-STG1 thermal grease between the CPU and heatsink. However, the temperature of my Idle CPU was around 35C to 37C, which is not a very significant temp drop, compared to the Idle temp i had with the stock fans. When i had my stock fans on the mobo, the Idle CPU was around 40C to 43C. I know that the airflow in my case isn't very good because my CoolerMaster 850W PSU's cables are really thick, which block the airways, thus the CPU temp won't drop significantly. However, i wonder maybe i applied too much ZM-STG1 grease. During the installation process, I used the brush of the ZM-STG1 grease to paint the surface of the CPU and heatsink. I just made sure that all heat transferring surfaces are covered with the grease. So, i don't really know if i applied too much grease. Any suggestions?
*By the way, when I opened the side panel of the computer case, the CPU temperature and ambient temperature quickly dropped. The CPU temp dropped from 37C to 31C quickly when the side panel of the case was open. A little green house effects over here? :help:
Thanks you ppl!
Old July 13, 2009, 10:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

Idle temperature isn't very useful. Your real temperature drop will be in load temps because thats where the stock heatsink struggles. Download OCCT and run it until the temperature doesn't seem to increase any more. And the last part makes it sound like the heatsink is just circulating the same warm air around, maybe look into getting higher speed exhaust fans, or adding fans to spots that don't currently have them.
Old July 14, 2009, 05:20 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I hate to say this but the majority of temp drops you see in reviews regarding thermal compound are not what a normal person would see. The problem is that a regular consumer will stand back and install their heatsink once meaning it may or may not be a good mount. Temps can change quite a bit from mount to mount. Meanwhile, when testing thermal compound may sites (us included) use multiple mounts and usually use the best results for the charts.
Old July 14, 2009, 05:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
Idle temperature isn't very useful. Your real temperature drop will be in load temps because thats where the stock heatsink struggles.
Ditto.
Heat up your CPU (prime95 or LinX if you're brave) and see your load temps. RealTemp is a handy piece of software for monitoring your core temperatures.
Old July 14, 2009, 06:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

All Heatsinks require a good supply of Airflow in order to be effective. If your Case cannot provide it, then there is little the cooler can do to.
As for Zalmans Thermal 'Grease' , I am personally not a fan of it nor the application method that they suggest.
Personally I would go with OCZ Freeze or IC7/24 and use a pea sized drop dead centre on the CPU only and go from there.

And, of course get some better airflow into that case if you can.

If you have 3 5.25 bays free use this:
NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Kama Bay Silver 120MM Fan Mount for 3X5.25IN Bay 800RPM 12.8DBA 30.5CFM - SCKB-1000SL In Canada.

A black one is available too, just not listed right now on NCIX.
It helps to add airflow where required and I've had good experience with it. As well, you can change out the included fan for something like a High Airflow Yate Loon or Panflo to give even greater cooling potential.

My thoughts, I use the CNPS9900 on my AM3 build and in the right case it is amazing.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 14, 2009, 06:59 AM
Rookie

And please buy a decent paste because STG1 is not very good to say it politely.

38 de paste termice testate - Iulie 2009 | lab501
Old July 14, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just get away of zalman, there wierd desing cooler are overprice and low performance. Also get real thermal paste

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 14, 2009, 03:38 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
All Heatsinks require a good supply of Airflow in order to be effective. If your Case cannot provide it, then there is little the cooler can do to.
As for Zalmans Thermal 'Grease' , I am personally not a fan of it nor the application method that they suggest.
Personally I would go with OCZ Freeze or IC7/24 and use a pea sized drop dead centre on the CPU only and go from there.

And, of course get some better airflow into that case if you can.

If you have 3 5.25 bays free use this:
NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Kama Bay Silver 120MM Fan Mount for 3X5.25IN Bay 800RPM 12.8DBA 30.5CFM - SCKB-1000SL In Canada.

A black one is available too, just not listed right now on NCIX.
It helps to add airflow where required and I've had good experience with it. As well, you can change out the included fan for something like a High Airflow Yate Loon or Panflo to give even greater cooling potential.

My thoughts, I use the CNPS9900 on my AM3 build and in the right case it is amazing.

Regards,
ST
got two of those in black, stuck Scythe Kaze (3000rpm) running both at full intakes on the front LOl
MOBO:Asus Striker 2 Formula
RAM:OCZ HPC REAPER 4GB 1066mhz pc2-8500 (5-5-5-15)@2.2v
PSU:CORSAIR 750W
CASE:Silvertstone TJ07
SOUND:Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
Keyboard:Logitech G15 V2
Mouse:Razer DeathAdder
Case Cooling:2x92mm exhaust,2x120mm exhaust, 2x120mm Ultra Kaze(3000RPM)intake.
Running:Win7 64-bit Ultimate
F@H PPD:46957

Old July 14, 2009, 06:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Just get away of zalman, there wierd desing cooler are overprice and low performance. Also get real thermal paste

Just out of curiosity , is that from Ownership, or do you just say that because of reviews?
The CNPS 9900 when it first came out was run improperly with Reviewers leaving the shroud on, so it got bad inital reviews.
Its a Top Tier cooler that is solid copper and it does great to take the heat of a Quad.
But like anything else, it needs to breath.

@ Cadence, I am going to assume that you got bigger airflow issues then if thats the case with the cooler. Again replace the Thermal Paste because I have had no luck with their brand.
Perhaps its time to go Modular PSU or a case with better internal airflow.

REgards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 19, 2009, 06:35 AM
Rookie

I wouldn't call a heatsink that needs a >2000 rpm fan to get decent results top tier especially considering the price. And since Zalman opted for the more traditional tower method recently I think its safe to say the 9xxx series was a complete failure. You have to be very deaf and very rich to buy something thats worse than a lot of cheaper coolers. I'm not going to get into the whole unchangeable fan issue because thats another problem.