Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2009, 07:17 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default What's the "protective label" for on HDT-S1283 ?

Hi,

Here's my story : I recently bought a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 to replace the stock Intel cooler. For those who don't know, there's a "protective label" that you have to peel off from the base of the heatsink before installing it. The problem is, when I removed it, most of the adhesive stayed on the base .

I don't know who's fault is (but it's not mine), but that is certainly something I wasn't waiting for. I had to take some solvent (in this case, lighter fluid) to remove all the sticky adhesive from the base, and it was definetely a bit messy, plus it took some time...

Anyone had the same problem ?

Except from this, I'm relatively happy with the cooler: not too big, fits nicely in my case (Sonata III) and on my board, quiet, and 20 °C cooler than the stock one on load.

Old July 12, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah I HATE when they Mfg'ers that too! The easiest way is with rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth, just make sure to work WITH the direction of the heatpipes or those metal posts can shred the cloth and leave bits stuck between them and the heatpipes. Usually comes off fairly quick but it is a real pain in the arse.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 12, 2009, 07:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Lint free cloth... yeah, right...

I didn't know rubbing alcohol was working on adhesive. I do know lighter fluid works fairly well, I'm just not sure if it's damageable/non-optimal.

Old July 12, 2009, 08:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Lighter fluid is going to leave a bit of a film, as would nail polish remover (probably the best publicly available chemical solvent). If you're using either of those, ensure that you use a high % isopropyl alcohol to clean it afterwards.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 12, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

All I can say is 99% worked well on both the OCZ Vendetta 2 and Xigmatek S1283, and bunch of others I've reviewed. The crap came right off with a bit of work.

Though if I run into big issues with glue I use an orange based cleaner (actually called Icky Sticky Unstuck...IIRC) and then a good cleaning with 99%.
YMMV ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 12, 2009, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

common happening and i thought 99.9% rubbing alcohol was a given.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxman View Post
Hi,

I don't know who's fault is (but it's not mine), but that is certainly something I wasn't waiting for. I had to take some solvent (in this case, lighter fluid) to remove all the sticky adhesive from the base, and it was definetely a bit messy, plus it took some time...

Anyone had the same problem ?
Each and every one of these things I have bought has done this. It's a severe piss off. I've done it 15 times or so now and I've tried various ways of doing it without success.

You're definately not alone.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it's not you guys the mfg's have to switch to a low tack adhesive.( paper towel and 99.9% is the best you can do till they start playing ball. have sent several emails cause i to have gone through this to many times to count. this month was slow maybe 10)
Old July 12, 2009, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You just reminded me to go get coffee filters =)

The two times that I peeled the protective label off, I didn't notice any adhesive stuck on the cooler. Maybe I should take my cooler off and re-apply some AS5 if there is some adhesive stuck on it.
Old July 12, 2009, 09:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Though if I run into big issues with glue I use an orange based cleaner (actually called Icky Sticky Unstuck...IIRC) and then a good cleaning with 99%.
YMMV ;)
The one I see around here is called Goo Gone. Works well on removing sticky residue but I haven't used it on heatsinks.