Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2009, 05:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Well.. Guys all I can say, if you want all these different tests done, just go buy yourself this cooler and do them for yourselves.. Burebista as Sugar said, an OC'ed Nehalem system isn't just an average system.. it probably is better than a lot of LGA 775 heavily overclocked systems... Based on AkG review, overclocking and increasing voltages on an i7 keeps getting in hotter and hotter, 60C could be on the high side especially when running a system 24/7..

Well.. I'm done too
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 13, 2009, 05:55 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We listen to you guys and so AkG and myself have decided to test the Cooler Master 212 PLUS with the same Noctua fan as we used on the Megahalems and post the results right here. Even I am interested in the results so stay tuned.

It will be done today hopefully as running the tests correctly takes time so please bear with us.
Old July 13, 2009, 06:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks SKY/AkG, take your time. It won't be anything spectacular because your ambient and special cold Nehalem but at least is a step forward.

miggs78 try to understand that you'll never ever have 60°C under prime95 with a usual Nehalem @3.8GHz and 1.45V Vcore, HT on, closed case and normal ambient temperature with a HDT heatsink. Heck even Prolimatech is not able to do that.
Old July 13, 2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burebista View Post

miggs78 try to understand that you'll never ever have 60°C under prime95 with a usual Nehalem @3.8GHz and 1.45V Vcore, HT on, closed case and normal ambient temperature with a HDT heatsink. Heck even Prolimatech is not able to do that.
I think I know where you are coming from but I also think I know where you are misunderstanding.

60°C is NOT PEAK TEMP. It is an AVERAGE temperature based off of the following as stated in the methodology:

Quote:
Average load temps were taken after 15 minutes of running Prime95 “small fft” and are taken directly from CoreTemp’s temperature text file.
Usually, if we have an average temperature of 60°C the peak temps will probably be around 65-70 or maybe even a bit higher. Our i7 920 is cool running, but not THAT cool...

Now you may ask yourself: "why don't you use peak temperatures". That's because every now and then a temperature monitoring program will have a millisecond spike which while high does not reflect the actual load temperature of the processor on a regular basis. Averaging things out over 15 minutes allows us to avoid such oddities so they don't impact the final temperatures in a meaningful way.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:01 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
60°C is NOT PEAK TEMP. It is an AVERAGE temperature based off of the following as stated in the methodology:
Oh s**t! I've overlooked that.
OK, then please put a screenshot from RealTemp (damn guys Kevin is Canadian, support him and his state of the art pieces of software) to see peak temperatures. Average is OK, but I want to see peak temperatures too. It shouldn't be a significant difference between peak and average.
Thanks.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:05 AM

Putting average and peak has always been something that we have discussed. We may put that on the table again but in the past, both Real Temp and Core Temp have prooved to be a bit of a dog's breakfast when it comes to accurate peak temps.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:06 AM
Rookie

Really guys who uses average temps. Peak temp is what matters because thats the only indication of how close you are to throttle.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Average temp is better than peak, for the sake of digital sensor spikes.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old July 13, 2009, 07:28 AM
Rookie

Someone more experienced might confirm this but the closer you move to Tjmax the more accurate the readings are. And none really cares about average temps since they don't give a relevant result. Prime95 manages to take the cpu to the max temp only a few times during stressing and since your testing cooling capacity I think you're after the absolute value not something in between.
Old July 13, 2009, 07:35 AM

We tested of this all before choosing average temperatures. At the time we were seeing random spikes of between 3-6°C on our 775 system which was far too much for an accurate representation when comparing cooling solutions.

Another option open to us was a line graph much like I used when reviewing GPU coolers. Unfortunately, things got VERY confusing when more than five products were added to the charts.