Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2010, 08:41 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryman546 View Post
I found the 3 line thermal paste to be the most effective. Heres my temps for this cooler.
at work so havent had time to read all 15+ pages, is the 3 line TIM application the prefered technique with this heatsink.

My Boinc Stats
Old March 25, 2010, 09:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patramix View Post
at work so havent had time to read all 15+ pages, is the 3 line TIM application the prefered technique with this heatsink.

A lot of times yes with HDT Coolers. You can experiment with them and you'll find that the single dot doesn't always cover the Pipes properly in their contact. Make sure you use very small amounts though as you don't want globs of overlap on the cooler surface or TIM leaking out the sides.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 25, 2010, 10:05 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
A lot of times yes with HDT Coolers. You can experiment with them and you'll find that the single dot doesn't always cover the Pipes properly in their contact. Make sure you use very small amounts though as you don't want globs of overlap on the cooler surface or TIM leaking out the sides.

ST
k ill give it a try, i have some experience with HDT, currently have a S1389 in my system, just never really tried the 3 lines with it.

My Boinc Stats
Old March 28, 2010, 04:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Just got this cooler with my new setup, since all the parts came the same day, installing was very easy lol.

So far it's super cool, but I'm just getting to OCing as I know the system is rock solid and I found the top OC of my 5870, on air anyways...
Old April 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I love my Hyper 212+, easy to install (if this isnt your first heatsink install) temps are way below that of the stock cooler, and now i can enjoy quiet cooling with a 120mm Noctua attached in a push position. (dont need the extra noise of a pull fan)
Old April 16, 2010, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

so... is it 3 lines on the copper or on the nickel?
Old April 16, 2010, 11:12 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

i followed a few guide on HDT past job

and everyone ive seen put it on the nickel part, not on the actual pipe, but everyone will full up the "cracks" between the nickel and cooper pipes first,

ive been pondering lapping mine but not sure if i want to try that, never lapped a HS before

My Boinc Stats
Old April 16, 2010, 01:07 PM
Banned
F@H

try smaller grit than what you might try first, just in case. using bigger grit, some get carried away
Old April 16, 2010, 03:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I second dangtx said, you really want to be careful when lapping a HDT cooler because the heatpipes are already sanded down to make them flat, it is hard to tell how much material is left and lapping too much will destroy them.