Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2010, 06:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Im using the bracket. My particular revision also includes the pin stopper to prevent rotation. Im using As5. I've tried mounting the cooler in all 4 directions. Doesnt matter what cooler Im using, doesnt seem to make a difference of more than 3-4 degrees.

The cpu ihs was in fact convex, and the 212 was a bit off before lapping, but it really wasnt bad for a $30 cooler (ive seen way worse.)

98-91-95-89 are my load temps. Idle temps are unchanged, 37-36-37-35.

Once I return from load to idle, my temps do drop almost instantly to the low 40's.
Old January 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
Rookie

At idle and full load, what does CPU-Z report your core voltage as?

I think you mentioned 1.24 volts before but I wasn't sure if that was a bios setting or an actual measurement.

If voltage is OK and since you've squared up the IHS and cooler about the only other possibility is poor contact between the IHS and cores. That happens. Even if you didn't do your sanding job, Intel wouldn't replace your CPU if that is the problem since it is able to run at default specs without any problems. Some Core i7 CPUs run hot and poor contact between IHS and cores might be one of the reasons why. The only solution is EBay. Users will pay a premium for a shiny looking i7-920. You might have better luck next time.

What is your method for applying thermal paste and how much do you use? Try running Prime95 Small FFTs. It would be very unusual to get a 9C spread between core 0 and core 3 when testing with P95.

If your computer is stable at 4 GHz then there is no need to worry about your core temperature. It's obviously too high when running LinX so don't run LinX. For everything else your computer will be just fine.

Last edited by unclewebb; January 26, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old January 26, 2010, 04:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Core voltage is as reported by cpu-z. Loadline calibration is on and I have the vcore set to offset @ +0.0815v as I'm using speedstep. Bios is reporting the same vcore- 1.24x volts. Occasionally I'll see it @ 1.232 (usually while the processor ramps up from idle to moderate load).

My methods for applying thermal paste have followed various paths. Ive filled the channels of the 212 and scraped off the excess with a razor blade, leaving it level with the heatpipes. Then, Ive tried both the pea method, as well as the two tiny lines on pipes 3 and 4. I've also tried a paper thin, consistent film on the cpu, and then again on the cooler. I've tried just the pea method without filling the channels.

As a rule, Prime Small FTT's runs 3 degrees cooler across all cores, and blend is maybe a degree or two cooler. But the wide margain between core 0 and 3 remains. Its large (4-5 degrees) in idle and it scales according to load, no matter what the load.

Oddly, sometimes it appears Im using too much thermal paste, sometimes even half the size of a pea appears to be too much with the 212. Its odd, because its much less than Ive applied in the past to get good coverage on various other cpu/heatsink combos. So I dialed back the use of it to compensate.

More, less, perfect, seems to make no difference. I doubt Im overlooking anything and as youve said, its probably the IHS.

That being said, Ive experienced the exact same phenomena with a i5 750, and an 860 as well. Same behavior, different platforms altogether. I just chalked it up to my v8 being garbage. (Which, IMO, it really is.) So this is frustrating, and I still have the feeling as if Im doing something wrong. Yet, Ive never seen anything like this. Ive overclocked every intel platform since the coppermine core, and yeah, sometimes there was a hit or miss, or a rookie mistake along the way, but throughout never anything that transcends pretty much the whole i5/i7 line.

I just wish I knew the problem for certain before I start selling off parts again. The only thing that has been constant other than the i7 920 in this case, is the coolermaster brand. The v8 was suspect from day one with its flaky mounting system which the 212 seems to share in a basic sense. Its better, but much like the v8. (this cooler was engineered for 775, and it shows, imo.) The foxconn cooler I have on-hand is a beast, Its the heaviest cooler Ive ever seen, but its seriously flawed and I dont trust it.

The CPU easily does 4.2 with under 1.3v with sub-zero temps blowing through the window facing the open chassis, and could probably keep going if temps werent limiting everything, hence my eagerness to find the fault.

Best I just give up though.
Old January 28, 2010, 12:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

This cooler is in the mail and on its way to me. I'm wondering if I should use the thermal paste that comes with it -- or if I should go for a tube of Arctic Silver 5 (though I'm not really willing to)? Does anyone know what kind of temperature difference there will be if I just use the Coolermaster thermal paste as opposed to the AS5?
Old January 28, 2010, 04:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF I was going with a TIM other than the included goodness (which for FREE Tim is very good). It would be IC7. TBH I still use MX-2 for most of my build as it is easy and fast to use. IIRC CM's is based off of MX-2....so you may get slightly to moderate worse temps with AC5. YMMV

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 28, 2010, 06:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I used the standard CM TIM from the 212+ on my e8400 OC'd to 3.75ghz and it idles at 28-30 and load temps on linx are roughly 54-56. So not bad at all IMO. I have ordered the IC7 but have not yet applied it but hopefully this weekend.

But for stock paste, it's not bad at all.
500gb SG + 2TB WD20EARS
Corsair TX650W
Asus P5Q
Lancool K-62BW
Old February 1, 2010, 07:10 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Sorry there is just much to read through with all the debating in the first 3 pages+. Was the stock fan on the 212+ running on auto mode? What kind of speeds was it hitting?
Old February 2, 2010, 04:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The fan was running flat out for all tests. To get a much more rounded idea of what the cm212+ is capable of look at the D14 and Flex review. Since this review the methodology was changed (twice) and so was the CPU.

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 2, 2010, 10:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thats great, thanks man.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

So I just installed a 212+ on my OC'ed e8400 (bought one for another system I'm building). To my surprise it ran a cooler 6.5c at load and 2.5c at idle compared to my Vendetta 2 @ the same fan speeds, 1500rpm~. At full speed (2000RPM~) it made a whooping 1c difference at load. Only thing I can complain about is the louder fan @ the same speeds on the 212+. I'm going to try the OCZ fan on the 212+ and see what kind of results I get. I'm also going to re-test the Vendetta 2 because I used to get similar temps with it but in the last few months it just went up, strange. Does anyone know if the vapors inside the heat pipes can go bad over over time?

Specs, testing environment etc...

e8400 @ 4.005Ghz 1.24v
Coolermaster Cosmos S with 5 GELID 120mm 1000RPM~ fans
MX-2 thermal paste
Ambient temps steady @ 23c