Old July 10, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Superb review

This or the Mugen 2 will be my next heat sink
Old July 10, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Newegg Canada has this cooler for $45. Currently the cheapest I found was $39... Xpress Canada - Cooling > CPU Cooling : Cooler Master Hyper 212 4 Heat Pipes, Copper Base (RR-CCH-LB12-GP) for Socket LGA775 & AM2/754/940/939.

I hope NCIX or DC get it soon, I am thinking of switching to air from water, this heatsink would be extremely helpful for me on my E8400..

:)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 10, 2009, 02:32 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The one on Newegg.ca IS NOT the correct cooler. It is the older Hyper 212 (non-PLUS version).

Edit: same goes for your other link.

Please note the product number.
Old July 10, 2009, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My apologize, should have paid attention... Thanks SKY
Old July 11, 2009, 06:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sorry guys, with all my respect for HWC but this graph is not right.

No way an HDT heatsink can be so close on Megahalems. At least not on i7 with high frequency and Vcore.
They are cheap, yes. Then can be good at stock/medium OC, yes. They can match TRUE/Megahalems on very high/extreme TDP, no.
Agree that they have a good price/performance ratio and they're perfect for 99% of regular users but that's all, for serious business buy serious heatsinks.

Another curiosity.

Better than TRUE? Than Noctua NH-U12P?
If it's possible I'd want to see thermal paste pattern on HDT base pipes. If i7 IHS is larger and probably almost all 4 heatpipes are on IHS for a quad I'm sure that 2 heatpipes will barely touch IHS.
For example this is how it looks on Alpenföhn Brocken (lapped because without lapping it was way behind TRUE) and Q6600.

LE: I just spoke with my friend and he gave me a picture with Alpenföhn Brocken on i7. Looks better than on Q6600.

Last edited by burebista; July 11, 2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Adding i7 pattern
Old July 11, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Burebista....sigh....I was waiting for when this was going to come up.
The 212+ comes STANDARD with a 2000rpm high static pressure fan.

The Prolimatech does not come with a fan.

As per our testing methodology page it was therefore tested with a NF-P12-1300 Noctua.

Most if not all 120mm capable Noctua coolers come with the NF-P12-1300 fan as well.

The NF-P12-1300 is a good all purpose fan. It is NOT a 2k rpm fan.

The 212+ is a DGV cooler because of this disparity and the fact its a HDT. Does this skew the numbers in its favor by a few degrees. Yes, BUT its the stock fan and that is relatively speaking how it will perform when compared to most coolers which come with the more "normal" 1300rpm fans.

LOL, you know I could if in the wrong mood consider your reply as being extremely hostile as one could read it as saying I'm lying, misinformed or just pulling numbers out of my butt. This is NOT the case but it is a less than optimal way of wording things if you are asking me a question. NOW if your intention was to troll thats another thing all together

I understand where you are coming from BUT this is what I found with my 212+ and my Prolimatech...and my etc etc. and saying there is "no way" it could be true does irritate me to the say the least.
This cooler as all coolers are tested and retested. The testing phase takes on average 15 hours or more to get the best possible results. The fact of the matter is an excellent cooler w/ a decent fan vs a good cooler with a GREAT fan usually results in the better cooler losing.

In the end YMMV.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 11, 2009, 07:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
LOL, you know I could if in the wrong mood consider your reply as being extremely hostile as one could read it as saying I'm lying, misinformed or just pulling numbers out of my butt.
Man please believe me that HWC is (was?) on my VERY short list of VERY trusty reviews but when I saw a HDT on par with Megahalems on high TDP all my lights starts to flash.
Quote:
NOW if your intention was to troll thats another thing all together
No, I don't want to be a troll, I'm just puzzled by your results.
Quote:
[...] saying there is "no way" it could be true does irritate me to the say the least.
Sorry, I'm irritated same like you when I saw the charts at high TDP. At least we are equals now.
Quote:
In the end YMMV.
OK, I've said what I have to say. From now I'll put a grain of salt on my daily meal on HWC.
Old July 11, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hey man add all the salt you like! :)~
Seriously though. You should take everything with a grain of salt. This reviewed is based off ONE Prolimatech and ONE CM 212+. IF I get a bad example it will throw everything out of whack no matter what I do.
But the fact remains this is a very good cooler with one serious kick ass fan. CM were very smart for doing this as it does boost its perfromance. Honestly, I am sorry the numbers don't line up like you hope they would but that is how they worked out. I truly would have been surprised if they hadn't as a HDT is very efficient at sucking heat away at lower OC's and the Prolimatech really only starts to shine when the heat is turned up.

If I put a 2000rpm fan on a Prolima it would probably get insane numbers BUT most peeps use 1300rpm fans and as such that is what we use for testing. Our testing is all about what most people are going to use as a setup and IF a fan comes with a 2k fan....they are going to use it 9 times out of 10. If it doesn't come with a fan....they are probably going to stick a 1300rpm on it. I did state in the conclusion this is why the Prolima is still the much better cooler but if I was unclear I appolgise.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 11, 2009, 09:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

burebista, you have every right to question the results as I did the same thing when I first saw them. However, after discussing things at length with a few people it is obvious that the fan has a lot to do with this unit's performance. For the heck of it I substituted out the NF-P12 1300 on my current TRUE with an Ultra Kaze running at 2000RPM. Temperatures on my i7 920 ES dropped a good 4C when gaming and 6C during a Linpack test. That is huge.

The fact of the matter (and it was discussed in the review) is that at 3.8Ghz, the only thing that is stopping the 212 Plus from surpassing its thermal envelope is the speed at which the fan is running. Fortunately, the fan itself is pretty quiet for running at 2000RPMs but that doesn't stop it from impacting the results somewhat.
Old July 11, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

That's a good question and answer session, burerbista asked some pretty good questions and AkG's response was the ultimate one. Satisfies me too, as made me wonder that the Hyper 212+ came so close to the Prolimatech, oh well good explanation..

AkG sorry to question you, but I'm defeated.. what does YMMV stand for :S LOL :p