Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2009, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Xigamek HDT S1283 better than TRUE black?

HDT-S1283 is nearly half the price of TRUE Black, is the HDT better in every single way? I saw a review and it shows that HDT cools better than the TRUE black!!

Okay, what if i can get a used TRUE Black for $50 or a S1283 + mounting kit = $42 (including tax and after MIR as received) brand new, which one is a better choice?

Last edited by wonton1017; July 9, 2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old July 9, 2009, 06:45 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I wanna see which nutcase review said that... Yes, its true that HDT coolers offer great "Bang for your buck" cooling - but there's no chance that one could beat a TRUE, imo.
Old July 9, 2009, 06:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thermalright TRUE Black 120 CPU Cooler Review

EDIT*Haha, didnt even realize it was HWC until i posted.
Old July 9, 2009, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

frostytech
Old July 9, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It depends on the setup. TRUEs really only start to shine at high heat loads so if you are going for i7....it becomes a tough call. Couple degrees (at best) for twice the invesment....TOUGH call.
For 775s the TRUE gets pawned by the Xigy. Now with THAT all said there might be a $40 HDT compromise coming out soon which will eat the TRUE on a i7 for lunch at most heat loads. Hell it gives the ProlimaTech a run for its money at all but the highest OC I test at...as long as the ProlimaTech has "only" a NF-P12-1300 fan on it that is ;)
It also can accept DUAL fans rightout of the box, so no "gheto mods" needed like w/ the Xig or OCZ Veneddeta 2.
Expect the review of this mystery monster cooler up in the VERY near future. :)

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 9, 2009, 07:17 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
It depends on the setup. TRUEs really only start to shine at high heat loads so if you are going for i7....it becomes a tough call. Couple degrees (at best) for twice the invesment....TOUGH call.
For 775s the TRUE gets pawned by the Xigy. Now with THAT all said there might be a $40 HDT compromise coming out soon which will eat the TRUE on a i7 for lunch at most heat loads. Hell it gives the ProlimaTech a run for its money at all but the highest OC I test at...as long as the ProlimaTech has "only" a NF-P12-1300 fan on it that is ;)
It also can accept DUAL fans rightout of the box, so no "gheto mods" needed like w/ the Xig or OCZ Veneddeta 2.
Expect the review of this mystery monster cooler up in the VERY near future. :)
Now thats something worth waiting eagerly for! hehe.
Old July 9, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

great sounds like there some good reviews come this mystery cooler and the ssd's
Old July 9, 2009, 07:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay, what if i can get a used TRUE Black for $50 or a S1283 Dark Knight for $53 (including tax) brand new, which one is a better choice?
The reason i want to get the dark knight is because it comes with the crossbow mounting kit.

Original version for s1283 is $26.99 after $10 MIR at NCIX. But to buy the mounting kit is another $10.

**EDIT** Nvm, i'd rather get the s1283 + mounting kit = $42 (save extra $ to buy a yate loon for push/pull andfor zip ties.)

Last edited by wonton1017; July 9, 2009 at 07:29 PM.