Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2009, 09:29 PM
MVP

Default Clicking yate loons...

Just bought a 5 pack of D-12-SL-12 fans. They were on sale at ncix, but all of them make a dull clicking noise. I can hear them from about 5 ft away.

I know not to expect the same sound levels as my noctua's, but hell my antec tri cools were way quieter...

I figure I'll have to pop these open and try greasing them, what would you guys suggest using?

Thanks
Old July 7, 2009, 09:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

What configuration are you running the fans in? Horizontal or vertical? I've heard bad things about running Yate Loons horizontally (like attached to a top-mounted radiator), but I'm afraid I can't be of much help on the subject, as I tend to be more of a Scythe man myself (no first-hand experience with Yate Loons).

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old July 7, 2009, 09:49 PM
MVP

I have 2 horizontal on a rad and 2 vertical exhausting air from the case. They all sound identically annoying.
Old July 7, 2009, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah I don't think they're a good choice to be put on rads. I bought some last year and I won't buy anymore. Scythe and Noctua for me now.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Yeah I don't think they're a good choice to be put on rads. I bought some last year and I won't buy anymore. Scythe and Noctua for me now.
They can be a excellent choice for a rad , depends on the setup.

Only time I have heard a clicking is when the bearings were going, from 5' away they should be dead silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 7, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Scythe and Noctua for me now.
Ha! I was just going to say "should've bought Noctua" can't speak for scythe never owned any of their products.

Any warranty with the yates?

EE
Old July 7, 2009, 10:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've got 4 of them, they stopped ticking when I mounted them horizontally. (Like on my top mount rad).
Old July 7, 2009, 10:40 PM
MVP

Weird, I mean I've run cheap evercools and crap and never had any noise besides airflow come from a fan. Like I say it seems to have nothing to do with orientation.

I guess at 5 bucks a pop I could afford to take the loss on these things (don't think its worth any sort of RMA)

...I've always heard yate loons were a good bang for buck fan. Oh well
Old July 7, 2009, 11:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Ha! I was just going to say "should've bought Noctua" can't speak for scythe never owned any of their products.

Any warranty with the yates?

EE
Scythes are alright, i would prefer owning more noctua but right now im saving up for other upgrades.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old July 7, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was fortunate and got mine cheap, there was time back in the day a long long long long time ago once here at HWC we had something called SPONSORED DEALS - Hardware Canucks, but now they remain nothing more than a distant memory dearly missed by all.