Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   problem. quiet to loud fans after installed. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/19483-problem-quiet-loud-fans-after-installed.html)

kyle_L July 1, 2009 06:20 PM

problem. quiet to loud fans after installed.

i got a couple of fans that are rated at 19 dB-A and when i installed them on my radiator both in push or pull the are louder than that the yateloons i had that were rate at 28 dB-A. heres a link to the fans R4-L2R-20AC-GP - Cooler Master is there anyway i could make them quieter i dont realy want to go from 90cfm to 37cfm from the yateloons.

Caldezar July 1, 2009 06:26 PM

Maybe a reverb issue? You could try to create a gasket around the edge of the fan to create a tighter fit if possible. Also, have you compared the volume of the fans when they're not installed? Volume ratings are not always accurate in fans unfortunately.

kyle_L July 1, 2009 06:46 PM

dead quiet when not installed.

Caldezar July 1, 2009 08:57 PM

What's the install look like? are the new fans snug? Any allowance for vibration can cause a large reverb. You could try to create your own gasket to see if that helps. Start with something cheap like doubled up construction paper first to see if it helps; if it does, then make a proper gasket. If you could provide a photo of the install it might help to diagnose what would cause this.
Check for cracks around the fans screw holes too, although it's not likely that since you've mounted them both ways.

MpG July 1, 2009 09:25 PM

Heh, the minute I saw "19db", I immediately thought "Coolermaster fans", which have a proud history of including extra helpings of BS with their specs. Honestly, rpm-for-rpm, I wouldn't expect much improvement over the YL's, if any.

As Caldezer already mentioned, make sure the fan isn't managing to vibrate anything, which can easily amplify the fans noise. It's also worth seeing if detaching the entire radiator+fans assembly changes anything.

kyle_L July 1, 2009 09:35 PM

ok i will see what i can do. going to take it apart right now and do some cable management at the same time.

JD July 1, 2009 09:58 PM

The fans probably don't have enough static pressure to pull air through the radiator, thus the increase in noise.

I don't think any fan stays as quiet as in open-air once you install it in anything that provides some sort of restriction.

kyle_L July 1, 2009 11:54 PM

there was nothing i could do to make them quieter. even just putting them on with the rad grill and no rad they were just as loud, so I've gone back to the yl. that and they look a little better to. even with playing with the fans one finger infront of the fan made it almost as loud.

Jackquelegs July 2, 2009 04:49 AM

Poor blade balancing and motor quality would be the culprit here IMO.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of noise was it?

kyle_L July 2, 2009 08:19 AM

the noise sounded like when you put something infront of the fan and it has a hard time getting air to it.