Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2009, 08:11 PM
Rookie

Default idea for cooling... suggestions?

Have you ever been in the super market and see one of those little freezers on wheels that open from the top? They usually have novelty ice creams or whipped cream... things like that.

Well my friend is the dairy manager at a super market and the store makes him throw away those freezers every couple of months for new ones. He took one of the cooling units from inside the freezer and we have been trying to figure out a way to mod a case using this unit.

my concern about using it is that there might be some kind of condensation which could build up in the case, and turn to ice. what we were thinking about was getting a cheap case, and taking off the right side panel, drilling a hole to line up behind the 5.25 bays, and then making a box out of sheet metal or something and bolting it to the side of the case covering the hole and see if there is any condensation inside the case.

anyone ever try anything like this? do you think it could work?
Old June 25, 2009, 08:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccaulley View Post
Have you ever been in the super market and see one of those little freezers on wheels that open from the top? They usually have novelty ice creams or whipped cream... things like that.

Well my friend is the dairy manager at a super market and the store makes him throw away those freezers every couple of months for new ones. He took one of the cooling units from inside the freezer and we have been trying to figure out a way to mod a case using this unit.

my concern about using it is that there might be some kind of condensation which could build up in the case, and turn to ice. what we were thinking about was getting a cheap case, and taking off the right side panel, drilling a hole to line up behind the 5.25 bays, and then making a box out of sheet metal or something and bolting it to the side of the case covering the hole and see if there is any condensation inside the case.

anyone ever try anything like this? do you think it could work?
Those Freezer Units use Freon or other types of Gases to cool. Unless you have percisce control over the unit, I wouldn't Risk it.

See the ThermalTake Xpressar.
Its that concept Already.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 25, 2009, 09:04 PM
Rookie

honestly it looks like a giant heatsink that gets super cold, but there is no freon in the unit.
Old June 27, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

seems like a good idea.

I don't see how condensation could happen if you clean up the box.

and from reading from your opening post, your gonna get a cheap case, so i am guess there won't be any liquid cooling involve. i think your fine

Try it out with an ancient computer for now, if nothing happens in a month its all good.

Nice innovative for some summer work
Old July 21, 2009, 07:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like something fun to play with. But sadly condensation is VERY possible (I am A/C certified for automotive applications). You should have 2 "rads" one that gets hot and one that gets cold. Condensation is a VERY REAL concern, you could try running it with some old hardware, or even without any hardware to check about the condensation. Maybe you end up having a fan push cold air into the case. Maybe it passed through something to catch the condensation.

It sounds like it would be very interesting.

IF you open any coolant lines it will escape and I don't care what anyone says its toxic (just more - R12 - freon, or less - R134A, or others) so DONT BREATHE IT!

Have fun and let us know what you do