Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2009, 12:20 AM
Top Prospect

Default Noctua se1366 and the vendetta 2

These 2 coolers are very similar except the noctua has a dual fan design which i find to be very facinating, and i have a lot of fans on my hand, i would like to know if it possible to dual fan the vendetta 2 similar to the way the noctua is. Ive beent ryign to find links to see if any one has done that.

The reason i just dont go buy a noctua is, i just bought the vendetta 2(as in last month), and i know i could prolly make a fuss and return it, but im not up for the headache so if i could pull off the dual fan effect without returning the cooler to upgrade id like to try that.

One thing i haven't figured out is, are both fans going the same direction as in one fan blowing air towards the sink and the other sucking iit out, or are both blowing air towards the sink on both sides.

Last edited by MrFoxx; June 15, 2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old June 15, 2009, 05:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First thing you will notice is that the Noctua is twice the price of the Vendetta 2. Vendetta has HDT technology, while the Noctua does not.

If you're really pushing for a dual fan setup, I would go with the Noctua or the Prolimatech Megahalems. Both are excellent quality. If you're only cooling, say a C2Q, I would go with the Vendetta 2 with a single fan setup.
Old June 15, 2009, 05:38 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
First thing you will notice is that the Noctua is twice the price of the Vendetta 2. Vendetta has HDT technology, while the Noctua does not.

If you're really pushing for a dual fan setup, I would go with the Noctua or the Prolimatech Megahalems. Both are excellent quality. If you're only cooling, say a C2Q, I would go with the Vendetta 2 with a single fan setup.

I already bought the vendetta 2, last month, its already installed. And the only reason im not really trying to rush into buying the noctua is because i just bought the vendetta, im not sure what a c2q is, not sure what that acronym means.

When it comes downt o it, the look and design are very similar, i just would like to know, if i attach a second fan to the vendetta would it have a similar effect as the dual fan process of the noctua?
Old June 15, 2009, 06:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

C2Q = core 2 quad, I dont think a second fan can be installed on the Vendetta because of the shape but you can always try just putting one on with a rubber band just to see how much it would drop your temps.
Old June 15, 2009, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

How does it work though, is it 2 fans facing the same direction or 2 fans blowing towards the heat sink?
Old June 15, 2009, 11:27 AM
Rookie

The fans face the same direction. If they both faced the heatsink they would cancel each other out.
Old June 15, 2009, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect

I decided to just buy a high air flow fan and replace the stock fan on the vendetta, it seems to be the better route for this particular sink and much cheaper then buying the noctua.
Old June 15, 2009, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Foxx, what are your temps like on your i7? My Vendetta 2 doesn't seem to do a good job, but I also haven't tried remounting. I get 85C+ at 3.6GHz w/HT 1.275 Vcore. I've put it down to 3.2GHz w/HT 1.125 Vcore and get ~75C. I don't even think that's an improvement over the stock cooler.
Old June 16, 2009, 04:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I have 77c max and 75c when settled down running Prime95 for about 10 minutes. 3.8GHz @ 1.25 v, CPU/vtt at 1.34v.
I have the fan bowing at the H/S towards the back. I have reseat 3 times, and found that less AS5 will lower the temp. I am going to lap the vendetta2 and see if I can reduce the temp.

@Foxx , what kind of fan are you going to buy?

Last edited by Chris; June 16, 2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old June 16, 2009, 04:46 PM
Top Prospect

This is what i ended up buying.

NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Ultra Kaze 120MM High Static Pressure Fan 38MM 3000RPM 133.6CFM 45.9DBA - DFS123812H-3000 In Canada.

I was looking at the detlas but i didnt se the need for 250+ cfm i dont overclock that much.