Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thermal glue

NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Adhesive 2 X 2.5 Grams - AATA-5G In Canada.

Heatsinks....you may have to grind them down to fit. Run your finger around the back of your card when under load and make note of hotspots. Stick a heatsink on any chip close to these hotspots, heck stick a heatsink on all the chips!!

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=26871&vpn=BMR-C1L(BCC9)&manufacture=EnzoTech

NCIX.com - Buy Enzotech BMR-C1 Forged Copper BGA Memory Heatsinks for Video Card Memory 8 Pack W/ Thermaltape - BMR-C1 In Canada.
Old June 8, 2009, 10:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

This stuff here.

It's just like regular epoxy, where you mix a little of the two parts together, and they harden into strong glue in a few minutes. Except that this stuff also works like thermal grease, so you can use it to stick on heatsinks. The only catch is that it's GLUE, so it doesn't like to come off. In fact, you're just as likely to break off the chip as the heatsink, so be certain. I used to mix it with an equal amount of Ceramique, which weakens the glue enough that you can (very carefully!!!) twist the heatsink off later on. It's an option, but I understand that it's not for everyone.

Personally, I might consider trying that Zalman heatsink which has pins, and just trim the top off so it's short enough to fit under the heatsink.
Old June 8, 2009, 10:36 PM
Allstar

Wow, so much trouble to cool a dam card...

Don't forget that i just need to cool my vrm, the rest is pretty fine

So, here are my options if i get it :
Buy more heatsinks to put them in the back of my card, and buy thermal adhesive
Buy a new kind of thermal adhesive for my vrm

And last, what if i try the stock cooling plate. As i could see in my link in my first post, it seems to work really good. Only thing is how to put that cooler back, buy getting that thermal adhesive? And for the accelero heatsink on my gpu, just buy more mx-2?

Old June 8, 2009, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't know what the stock cooling plate is like, I'm afraid. If you can attach it with pins, that would be easiest, and would probably work fine. But if not, you need something to attach it with. I suggested thermal adhesive, because once you stick it on, it definitely won't fall off later on. But like I said, it's permanent, so make sure.

You could try something like THESE copper heatsinks, but I'm pretty sure that you would have to trim them shorter so they would fit. I don't know if they would work any better, but they come with their own thermal tape.

MX-2 is fine for anywhere else on the card.
Old June 9, 2009, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't understand, i"m using the twin turbo on my 4870 1GB and my temp never go by 80...Are you talking about the stock plate on the end of the card just before the ATX conector or th one on the memory just aside the GPU? for my part i change the one on the memory aside the GPU but the second one ( see my graphic I know it suck :) ) is from ATI.
Attached Images

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 9, 2009, 06:32 AM
Allstar

MpG : it's a simple plate that can be screwed easily on the card, that covers the ram and the vrm. The accelero can still be added with it.

Martin : Look at my link in my first post, you will see. My card is pretty much like the one on that site. I cannot just keep the sinks from the stock cooler, my card (his turbo 512 mb) had a large but thin red plate that covers vrm AND ram sinks.

Old June 9, 2009, 06:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
MpG : it's a simple plate that can be screwed easily on the card, that covers the ram and the vrm. The accelero can still be added with it.

Martin : Look at my link in my first post, you will see. My card is pretty much like the one on that site. I cannot just keep the sinks from the stock cooler, my card (his turbo 512 mb) had a large but thin red plate that covers vrm AND ram sinks.
to complete your answer, this place is the same for all reference desing 4870/4890(4890 have small heatsinks under fan(see skymtl review))

you can use this plate with some cooler and water block, but you cant use it with hr03 gt
Old June 9, 2009, 07:10 AM
Allstar

mmm right phil, got confused with the 4850 coolers. Still, i would like to know how he can keep the cooler only on the vrm... unless he cuts it.

Old June 9, 2009, 07:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
mmm right phil, got confused with the 4850 coolers. Still, i would like to know how he can keep the cooler only on the vrm... unless he cuts it.
if her card are reference desing, he cut it...
Old June 9, 2009, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Buy more heatsinks to put them in the back of my card,
Actually what I meant was to check for heat on the back of the card and then stick heatsinks on any corresponding chip on the other side of the card. I had to put heatsinks on almost all of the chips on my 4870. The plate you refer too may work as well. In the picture of the card above, I had to stick heatsinks on just about every chip to the right of all the circled ones before it would pass an OCCT video stress test.