Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2009, 12:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default BEWARE of Scythe fans!

About 1 month ago i changed the in/out std. fans (front/rear) on my Lian-li case to get better cooling, instead of quietness.

So, i bought 2 Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1900RPM/110CFM fans;
They lasted about 1 month; the front one had bearing seizure, and the rear one was already slowing down and would have been dead in a few days at most.

Case temps are always around 28C, so heat was not the factor, if you consider that the front one runs cooler than the rear one and it's the front one that died first.

I now have 2 Thermalright Stealth silent 2000RPM/80.5CFM fans installed;
they are a bit noisier than the Scythe, but they seem to push more air than the Scythe.
My cpu temps, in similar conditions, seem to be about 2-3C lower with the Thermalright fans than before.

So... the moral of this story is:

BEWARE of Scythe fans!

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.

Last edited by Gellidius; May 30, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Those are the cheap, low-end fans. And they use sleeve bearings. So I wouldn't expect them to last forever, but it should of lasted longer than a month.

If you had invested in the S-FLEX series that use S-FDB bearings, they'd probably still be running fine.

So I wouldn't bad-mouth Scythe as a whole, and you might be able to contact NCIX and RMA them.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Those are the cheap, low-end fans. And they use sleeve bearings. So I wouldn't expect them to last forever, but it should have lasted longer than a month.

If you had invested in the S-FLEX series that use S-FDB bearings, they'd probably still be running fine.

So I wouldn't bad-mouth Scythe as a whole, and you might be able to contact NCIX and RMA them.
1: If 1 fan had gone bad and the other one running ok, then i would not have bad mouthed Scythe, but as it happened to 2 fans, then it's not bad luck, and by telling which fan model went wrong, i did not bad mouth Scythe as a whole.

2: I would have had to pay postage to RMA them and would have gotten new ones with the same problem, and would have been unable to use the pc for weeks in the meantime.
For cheap items like fans, i think it's best to just throw them away and get something different right away.

Old May 30, 2009, 02:23 PM
Allstar

My workstation has 5 Scythe Slipstreams that have been running pretty steadily for close to a year now. No problems. On average Scythe are decent fans.
Old May 30, 2009, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i have a ultra kaze that i just took out of my htpc running for almost 2 years straight i think you got lemons sorry man( Owen many ultra kaze just most are not being used right at the moment never had a problem.)
Old May 30, 2009, 04:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

one thing for sure: i have to learn about the different bearing qualities that can be had in fans. I don't know anything about that.

Old May 30, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i have 2 scythe fans and one of them is at least 2 years old. no problem so far :)

if you want reliability get some of these NCIX.com - Buy Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 600-1200RPM 49.2-100.6M3/H 6.2-18.1DBA Molex - Noctua NF-S12B-FLX In Canada.

even those noctua have lower RPM and CFM, they still can kick a 100CFM fan's ass in terms of intake and exhaust/CPU fan
Old May 30, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

The fact that they both died like that, makes me wonder if the fans were dropped badly or crushed somehow (before you got them). As mentioned, they use sleeve bearings, which are the cheapest to make, but also the lowest quality, and the least resistant to abuse.
Old May 30, 2009, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
if you want reliability get some of these NCIX.com - Buy Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 600-1200RPM 49.2-100.6M3/H 6.2-18.1DBA Molex - Noctua NF-S12B-FLX In Canada.

even those noctua have lower RPM and CFM, they still can kick a 100CFM fan's ass in terms of intake and exhaust/CPU fan
adding to that a 6 year warranty.

Rule of thumb "you get what you pay for"

EE
Old May 30, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well, i had drop my fans a few time (on the carpet), and also submerge them in running water and dry them off. they're still running like champs.

time to power wash the old P4