Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/)
-   -   Cooling my 4870 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/air-cooling/18200-cooling-my-4870-a.html)

TimTheEnchanter May 23, 2009 04:40 PM

Cooling my 4870

I've decided to get an aftermarket heatsink for my 4870. Temps are waaaay too high, games crash and fan is loud as hell. Honestly i think next gpu won't be an ATI if they don't fix their overheating problem.

Gonna get the accelero s1 rev2
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 Passive VGA Cooler - ACCELERO-S1-REV2 In Canada.

with the fans
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Turbo Module Dual Fan Addon for Accelero S1 and S2 VGA Coolers - TURBO-MOD In Canada.

Do you guys have any better cooling to suggest me, besides the expensive thermalright?

I'd like to know if i should buy some good adhesive or thermal paste (i have none at home, except some cheap thermal paste...)

After i pull the trigger and buy it, i'll publish my first product review here, athought there is already one about it... more can't be bad!

bc_tileguy May 23, 2009 04:56 PM

the only problem with that cooler is that it dumps the hot air back into the case , i hope you have great air flow in your case !

the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2

comes with mx-2 pre installed for you

TimTheEnchanter May 23, 2009 05:52 PM

Got a CM 690 with 2 intake on side panel, 1 intake in bottom and front. 2 exhaust on top and one on rear. Guess that is good airflow.

Oh i knew it already had thermal paste on it, didn't see it was mx-2, i suppose i won't have to buy any, then.

Any other comments?

klaiboi May 23, 2009 08:42 PM

Does it come with heatsinks for the vRAM?

TimTheEnchanter May 23, 2009 09:21 PM

Yep

"Accessories: 2 Voltage Regulator Heat Spreaders 8 Memory Heat Sinks"

as seen here [TWEAKNEWS] - ARCTIC COOLING ACCELERO S1 REV.2 HEATPIPE VGA COOLER REVIEW - PAGE 2

JD May 23, 2009 10:22 PM

I'd ditch those fans and strap your own 120mm to it. That's what everyone else does.

martin_metal_88 May 24, 2009 05:23 AM

Go with the accelero twin turbo
NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo VGA Cooler - ACCELERO-TWINTURBO In Canada.
Will cost you about the same and seem to have better perf as I compare with my friend accelero S + Noctua 120mm. also silent has hell when under 60% of fan;)
At all these to are awsome and working good, coming with a pretty good arctic cooling thermal paste. So the choice belong to the one you find the cuter:)

Ask for more

gingerbee May 24, 2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 199335)
I'd ditch those fans and strap your own 120mm to it. That's what everyone else does.

second that cause i use it that way myself on my 4850 great temps about 5c higher then water. my water cooled 4870 is less then 10 feet away.fans on these units don't last had 2 of accelero fans both died in less then a year just buy a good 120 mm and zip tied it down.:thumb:

mchutch May 24, 2009 12:00 PM

second the twin turbo...

TimTheEnchanter May 24, 2009 01:23 PM

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

Almost decided to go with the s1 rev2 + noctua.... after reading a couple of reviews, decided to switch to the twin turbo.

I'm a noob videocard cooling, and i suppose that these sites will help Arctic Cooling Accelero TWIN TURBO All nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT to ATI Radeon HD4870 Products Model: ACCEL-TWINTURBO [ACCEL-TWINTURBO] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come, Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo VGA Cooler Review Page 3 - Installation - Overclockers Club

Right now i'm gonna pull the trigger as soon as ncix gets a new free shipping deal.

thanks again, and if you got more comments feel free to tell me.