Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2009, 10:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG
THIS is more what you should be looking at. Although I think it would change your mind really quickly about sound not being an issue.
Yeah i have been looking at several of the delta fans trying to pick how much CFM do i really need. Granted the fan u listed more than doubles the CFM which is crazy and is more than likely needed. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I DON'T recomend doing this to any piece of kit YOU guys have paid money for.
Thanks for the warning but something has to be done about this fan, its what is holding my Overclock back. I was hoping to get 3.9 rock solid but I cant break 3.8 and its still not 100% stable. Ill let you guys know what adding a large CFM fan does to this cooler
MB: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
GPU: HIS HD4870 1GB
HDD:Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Case: Silverstone Raven
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer Quad
Old May 7, 2009, 06:00 AM
MVP

What you should really be looking for is a high static pressure fan, not CFM or RPM. The static pressure is what will help drive the air through the crosshatch. Unfortunately, that spec is rarely listed for fans. The Scythe S-Flex are high static pressure, and I think the Zalman ZM-F3. There are certainly others...

I am sure that delta listed at "Max Air Pressure 12.43 mmH²0" must be pretty high (I've nothing to compare it too), considering it's 150CFM at 4000RPM! The pci slot fan controller will help keep the noise down when you don't need full cooling power.

Let us know how it goes with removing the shroud!

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old May 7, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

A Noctua NF-p12 has a static pressure in the 3mmH20 range. If I remember correctly a Panaflo 120mm 103 CFM 38mm thick fan has about 7mm H20.....12.43mm is an INSANE amount for any 120mm fan. Of course, with that comes insane noise and vibrations! It will turn a v8 into a "V8: Texas Chainsaw Massacre Edition"!...but if any single fan can properly cool this cooler down it would be that one.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 7, 2009, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Actually, the P-12's are only good for 1.68mmH20, according to their website. Which is actually very good for a 1300rpm fan, but it drives home the point of how much pressure 12mm+ is. As I understand it, airflow mostly tends to go up in proportion to the fan's rpm, while static pressure tends to increase exponentially.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

LOL I stand corrected :)~
I thought they were in 2 -3mm range depending on speed. Good to know. TY :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 7, 2009, 10:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithotech View Post
What you should really be looking for is a high static pressure fan, not CFM or RPM. The static pressure is what will help drive the air through the crosshatch. Unfortunately, that spec is rarely listed for fans. The Scythe S-Flex are high static pressure, and I think the Zalman ZM-F3. There are certainly others...

I am sure that delta listed at "Max Air Pressure 12.43 mmH²0" must be pretty high (I've nothing to compare it too), considering it's 150CFM at 4000RPM! The pci slot fan controller will help keep the noise down when you don't need full cooling power.

Let us know how it goes with removing the shroud!

Yeah def will let you know on the shroud. I do have an extra S-Flex G(75CFM), but im not sure that would make a big difference in the temps. Def was looking at fans that have a CFM rating about 100. Yes I do agree also that I need a high static pressure fan but this is not a commonly listed specification. Ive also read that more fan blades = less static pressure. Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that listed fan specs = a bunch of hot air.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:30 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Remember that MANY of the current 120mm fans with a CFM rating above 100 aren't the proper depth to fit between the fin assemblies of this cooler.

Generally, there is always a tradeoff to increased airflow and that tradeoff is usually noise.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:07 PM
Rookie

Oh I def understand the depth issue with this cooler, and there are a few 100 + CFM fans at the 25mm range. Granted they are going to be loud as hell but I want to give this cooler a better shot at dealing with a high overclock. If worst comes to worst Ill replace the V8 with something that has a better reputation for Air Cooling. I might even switch to water cooling !
Old May 7, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Smurph View Post
Ive also read that more fan blades = less static pressure. Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that listed fan specs = a bunch of hot air.
Definitely. Probably the most reliable of the specs you'll find are those with their roots in OEM/server areas, such as Yate Loon, Delta, Panaflo, San Ace, etc, where they developed their specs for companies concerned about warranties, and with less tolerance for BS. Whereas companies selling their fans as retail or even as 'premium', have a much larger incentive (and leeway) for fudging things.

Have yet to find a pattern for # of fan blades, although I'm fairly certain at this point that fewer blades makes for a lower pitched noise. My Delta EFB's (3-blade) make a quite noticeably lower sound than my Panaflo's (5-blades) or Ultra's (7-blades), at the same rpm.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:35 PM
Rookie

Ok how in the world do i get the plastic cover and fan off of the heatsink? Tried a couple of different things but since yall have already done it, could you give me some pointers?