Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2009, 12:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

GJ man. Crazy vendetta 2 is still kicking every cooler's ass.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nice to see an i7 testbed up and running. Any chance of backplate photos? Not all coolers handle that stock metal plate the same way.

On a slightly different note, can I ask what fan and stock Vcore you were using with V2 on the i7 board? I've got one on my own i7 board temporarily, and I can't seem to get the temps down nearly that low. Since I've been trouble-shooting temp-related problems, this may be a symptom.
Old May 5, 2009, 01:43 PM

The OCZ V2 had the optional Xigmatek backplate and a NF-p12-1300 fan for the i7 testbed. Stock speed was w/ stock voltage ;) 3.42 was 1.28v or 1.3 (in that vicinity...don't have my notes here in front of me but thats the ball park IIRC, i'll check my notes later and edit if necessary), 3.8 was 1.45'ish. I can not for the life of me remember vtt/pll settings but they were lower than the core voltage by a slight margin. The biggest thing to remember is that this is on an open bench and is the absolute best I got. I mount and remount and remount....and remount until I get the right combo of TIM and direction, then and only then do I run the "official" tests (with another 3 remounts taking only the best of the best).

All the backplates I have used so far have had no probs handling the i7 built in backplate as they are "deeper" than 775 versions. If I come across an issue I promise I will make note of it in the review!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 5, 2009, 08:24 PM
Trial Member

Yikes! I was planning to get this cooler for my next build...

Looks like the fan can be replaced though: take a look at post #5 on this thread Cooler Master Forum • View topic - Changing V8 Fan Orientation

Great review!
Old May 5, 2009, 08:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've seen this cooler up close, And I have to admit that the way they designed the fan admist it all is less than Ideal , you have it right on the money AKG that it has to first pull air through interleaving fins and then push it out again.
Thats asking a lot of one Fan.
There is hope however, I saw some pics of the proposed V12, and I think it answers a lot of the issues this has.
Off the top of my head, it has 3 fans, and two dense sets of Fins.
I await that to see if it works better.

Good review though,

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 5, 2009, 11:23 PM
Rookie

Excellent review even though I already have this cooler! I figured than fan would be its weak spot, was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas for replacements. Sound is not an issue, just want a fan to match w/ this beast of a cooler.
MB: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
GPU: HIS HD4870 1GB
HDD:Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Case: Silverstone Raven
PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer Quad
Old May 6, 2009, 12:51 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Smurph View Post
Excellent review even though I already have this cooler! I figured than fan would be its weak spot, was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas for replacements. Sound is not an issue, just want a fan to match w/ this beast of a cooler.
As far as a 25mm fan I'd say either a Noctua p12 or yate loon ds12.

Out of curiosity if u have a couple spare 120mm fans, could you slap one on either side and post the temp difference? I wanna see if it'll beat a true with that setup.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:21 AM
MVP

AkG - yes! I'd like to see a V2 of the V8, without the two crosshatched side fin arrays and instead enlarge the two main fin arrays, pumping more pipes into them. Additionally, increase the space between them to accomodate a 120x38mm fan, as well as facilitaing the mounting of fans on either side of the thing -- so that a total of three fans can be run. Finally, they need to address the mounting of the middle fan so that it is not glued to the shroud, and that the shroud is bolted to the HS like it looks like it is.

As per post 5 of this thread:

Cooler Master Forum • View topic - Changing V8 Fan Orientation

In fact the whole thread...

It seems that the fan is not glued to the shroud? They have removed the fan with only the four allen screws and then some tight tabs that hold the fan to the shroud. This would mean swapping the fan with another would be simple enough as long as it is a 120x25mm fan.

Not sure though, because of the last post:

Quote:
I got the top off but the fan just wasn't going anywhere. Finally I said "$!?# it"
Maybe some of the units are glued and some not? I'd still like to get one of these, as long as there is no glue!

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old May 6, 2009, 07:33 AM

OK...I dug this cooler out of the ye olde parts bin where I had chucked it a week or so ago and slowly took it apart. I put the darn fan shroud in a vise and with the help of a thin blade cut and peeled the fan away from it. It looks like mine got past QA as there is two pads things with a butt load of glue everywhere. The fan was litterally glued in two large strips towards the center and had the two end tabs holding it in place . If I didn't see that forum guide there is no way in hell I would have taken a knife to it! My best guess is the pads rolled or were somehow improperly placed and when the fan was attached the glue melded both parts together....that or they are glueing the fans into some and not others. No idea. Either way this is NOT a good thing to see in a production unit and I DON'T recomend doing this to any piece of kit YOU guys have paid money for. At this point I didn't care as I will not be using nor selling this guy and its spare parts only. If you pop the end tabs and it flexes like a SOB like mine did....leave it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 6, 2009, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Smurph View Post
I don't think a Noctua would come close. They're good fans, but not miracle workers.

THIS is more what you should be looking at. Although I think it would change your mind really quickly about sound not being an issue.