Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old May 2, 2009, 11:31 PM
kyle_L's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, bc
Posts: 1,118

My System Specs

Default fan modding

is it safe to run 3 fans off one 3 pin connector. i want to make it easier to run cables and control the rpm.
__________________
im looking for work.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 04:56 AM
dataxpert's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chertsey , 60km north of Montreal
Posts: 366
Default

Each fan connectors support 2A max ( 24 W at 12 v ) , but the total the board will support is 7A ( 84 W at 12v.)

Now the question how much % of the maximum is safe
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 08:52 AM
MpG's Avatar
MpG MpG is online now
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,141
Default

You can run multiple fans off of one 3-pin connector, but as just said, you need to be careful about not taking too much power from the motherboard. The manual should tell you how many watts or amps the fan headers are rated for, and the fans should have their power/current draw written on them somewhere.

When connecting the fan wires together, make sure each fan is in parallel, and only let one yellow wire connect to the motherboard, otherwise you'll get incorrect rpm readings.
__________________
i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 580GTX | Corsair DDR3-2133
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 10:24 AM
Cowboy's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,375
Default

What about when you use a dedicated fan controller? with 45w dedicated per channel?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 10:29 AM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,246

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
What about when you use a dedicated fan controller? with 45w dedicated per channel?
Yuor good as long as the combined watts of the fans isnt greater than the fan controller, in your case 45w.

I never run any fans off my mobo headers, less draw for the mobo.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 10:34 AM
Cowboy's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post

I never run any fans off my mobo headers, less draw for the mobo.
I totally agree! save the power for the OC I say!

and my fan controller is rated for a max of 45w per channel, and its got 6 channels.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 11:03 AM
kyle_L's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, bc
Posts: 1,118

My System Specs

Default

i forgot to mention that im using a bitspower fan board thing.
__________________
im looking for work.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 12:53 PM
dataxpert's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chertsey , 60km north of Montreal
Posts: 366
Default

Look at my reply , I get it from the manual....


Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
You can run multiple fans off of one 3-pin connector, but as just said, you need to be careful about not taking too much power from the motherboard. The manual should tell you how many watts or amps the fan headers are rated for, and the fans should have their power/current draw written on them somewhere.

When connecting the fan wires together, make sure each fan is in parallel, and only let one yellow wire connect to the motherboard, otherwise you'll get incorrect rpm readings.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 01:09 PM
MpG's Avatar
MpG MpG is online now
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,141
Default

I wasn't sure if you were talking about that exact board or not, since not all motherboards are equal.
__________________
i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 580GTX | Corsair DDR3-2133
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old May 3, 2009, 01:26 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,246

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
i forgot to mention that im using a bitspower fan board thing.
Should be fine then they just split it from a molex to a bunch of 3 pins IIRC.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modding idea.. metalcore Water Cooling 9 January 6, 2009 10:06 AM
keyboard modding cmac79 Peripherals 2 September 26, 2008 11:43 PM
FS: fan hDD cage w/ 120mm lighted fan, cpu funnel, pentium 1 elninio Buy/Sell & Trade 7 June 20, 2008 12:18 PM
Keyboard modding chibi_man Peripherals 2 November 8, 2007 05:25 PM
X-Fi modding. turtletrax Audio 8 October 30, 2007 11:19 AM