Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2009, 08:20 PM
MVP

Default Antec spot cool on aftermarket fan controller?

Just bought a NZXT sentry to quieten down my case fans. Works great so far, but it wont read my antec spot cool (noisest fan in my case, even on low).

Is there any way to bypass antec's tri-cool system and control the fanspeed from my sentry? The spot cool really won't fit anywhere to cool anything meaningful, so right now its more or less for looks.

Thanks.
Old April 27, 2009, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Those spot fans are junk!

If you need one in your case then you need to re-think your case air flow setup.
Old April 27, 2009, 08:25 PM
MVP

Tru, it might be decent for nb cooling, but it wont fit between my gpu and true.

Another option I wouldn't mind doing is disconnecting the fan, all im using it for is to shine a bit of light in my case (don't want cathodes).
Old April 27, 2009, 08:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

LEDs - Individual LEDs - Alan Parekh Electronic Projects Online Store

Buy some LEDs and some resistors and fire up the soldering iron.
Old April 28, 2009, 07:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
Just bought a NZXT sentry to quieten down my case fans. Works great so far, but it wont read my antec spot cool (noisest fan in my case, even on low).

Is there any way to bypass antec's tri-cool system and control the fanspeed from my sentry? The spot cool really won't fit anywhere to cool anything meaningful, so right now its more or less for looks.

Thanks.

The Reason it Won't Read it is because the Antec Spot Cool has A Build in Voltage Regulator inside of it already. The Sentry is designed to control the ones that are Unregulated much the same way the MB headers do when you plug Fans in there, they vary the voltage to control the speed.
You would have to do some extensive hotwire on that unit in order to get it working with a sentry.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 28, 2009, 07:18 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Easy solution = Put the Spotcool on MAX. When its on max its not regulated at all, and uses the full 12v input to power the fan. However, this also means that the Sentry should be able to vary the input voltage lower than 12v and also receive proper RPM readings. I've done this before, so I know it works. Good luck!
Old April 28, 2009, 08:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Easy solution = Put the Spotcool on MAX. When its on max its not regulated at all, and uses the full 12v input to power the fan. However, this also means that the Sentry should be able to vary the input voltage lower than 12v and also receive proper RPM readings. I've done this before, so I know it works. Good luck!

Good To know CM, as I had never personally attempted that Before, I didn't want to guess that it would work that way.

Thanks for the Info!!!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 28, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Beat me too it CM.
Thats what I did when I had my spotcool in using the sentry.
Old April 29, 2009, 05:25 PM
MVP

Cool, thanks guys!