Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Air Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2009, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Prolimatech Megahalems

I just installed this cpu cooler last night and thought I'd share my experiences/testing.

First off, Prolimatech did a great job in the design of the mounting system, which really holds the cooler in place. Mounting was a little tricky as the instructions aren't all that great, which isn't all that unusual, but I took my time and dry fitted everything, prior to applying the MX-2.

After a little trial and error, I settled on the orientation that had the coolers fan pushing to the rear fan of my HAF. However, with the fan mounted, the cooler blocked the first ram slot, which in my case wasn't a big deal; as you can see in this photo.

I tested two fans on the Megahalems. The first was a Yate Loon D12SH-12, which does not have PWM and a Delta AFB1212SH-PWM, which the observant reader will realize does. Cutting to the chase, the Delta outperformed the Yate by 4C and since I can control the Delta's speed in my bios, it was an easy decision. I set the cpu's fan profile to Turbo in my ASUS bios. At idle the fan was running @ 1834 rpm and the noise wasn't really all that noticeable. However, under load the Delta hit 3245 rpm and you definitely could tell it was running but it wasn't like I was reaching for a set of noise cancelling headphones.

I ran the Small FFT's test in Prime95, with the following results:

This beat my Cooler Master V10 by 2C, across the board and that's with freshly applied MX-2. FYI, the reason I bought the Megahalems was because of these two reviews:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=316&Itemid=62

[H] Enthusiast - Prolimatech Megahalems LGA 775 and LGA 1366 Cooler

and the fact that I was a tad concerned about the V10's weight and what it might eventually do to my motherboard.

All and all I'm extremely satisfied with this cooler but the supply is limited and Prolimatech has yet to supply this cooler to a Canadian retailer

Last edited by Dogger1; April 22, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old April 22, 2009, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OMG Scale your images down abit.
Old April 22, 2009, 09:38 AM
MVP

Sexy lookin heatsink. Wonder how these coolers compare to the true/xigmatek's.
Old April 22, 2009, 10:34 AM
Top Prospect

Wow, that's a lot smaller than the V10 isn't it?
You'd think that a $150+ cooler would out perform the Prolimatech, but I guess you proved that wrong.....

I was looking at the V10 at some point too. Glad I didn't buy it! Especially now that I'm running an NZXT Rogue case!!!
Asus Rampage II GENE Motherboard
2 x Asus GTX 285 in SLI (710/1617/2700)
1 x 1tb WD Black
3 x WD 640AAKS in RAID 0
Enermax 85-1050 PSU
HP 30" 2560x1600, G19, G7, M-Audio Q40 Headset

Old April 22, 2009, 11:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
OMG Scale your images down abit.
Done, sorry about that

Old April 22, 2009, 11:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I envy your ears. I have S-FLEX fans at 1000RPM, and still hear them distinctly. At full load CPU fan at 1500RPM and case fan at 1600RPM - I can't stand it.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI
Old April 22, 2009, 11:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
I envy your ears. I have S-FLEX fans at 1000RPM, and still hear them distinctly. At full load CPU fan at 1500RPM and case fan at 1600RPM - I can't stand it.
I'm guesstimating that at idle it's well under 30 dBA but at load, it's got to be close to 40 dBA.

Old April 22, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

expect a HWC review in the near future...it wont be the first in the que but might be the second ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 22, 2009, 03:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
expect a HWC review in the near future...it wont be the first in the que but might be the second ;)
Looking forward to it! I was going to get a True, but this guy seems competitive...I'll await your review
Fold for team #54196
Old April 22, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Well....as a sneak peak....
This wee beastie has the absolute BEST mounting system I have come across. It makes the TRUE and Nocuta setups look mediocre in comparison (and I LIKE the Noctua setup!)...and destroys any pushpin mounting setup (like say the OCZ Vendetta 2). Its a bit on the complex side BUT oh so worth it. The only thing negative I have come across so far (just started testing so how knows what the future will bring ;) ) is it only comes with 2 wire fan brackets and no anti-vibration strips.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr